• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Will Record chuck jaws fit a SuperNova2 chuck?

I have seen several (many) YouTube videos where people say that the Jaws for a Record chuck will fit on the SuperNova2 chuck.

Also, claims are that the Sorby Jaws will fit the SuperNova2 chuck.

All of the Teknatool documentation says to only use Teknatool jaws which leads me to believe that other brand jaws will fit a Teknatool (SuperNova2) chuck.

Will anyone please confirm that the Record Jaws and the Sorby Jaws will fit my SuperNova2 chucks?

(The current Woodcraft flyer has Record chucks and jaws on sale for 25% off)

I have not examined the Record products nor tried the jaws on a Nova chuck, but from outward appearannces and everything I've heard it's a different brand name on the same product.

You could bring your Nova chuck, screws and allen wrench to the Woodcraft store and "try on" the jaws. I would also compare the Nova and Record Power products side by side.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
I have lots of Supernova 2's and I'm happy as a pig in the mud with them. However, I did grab one of the RP deals somewhere recently. It's fine. No gripe worth gripping about. One minor issue and one difference. I primarily wanted the additional chuck to hold a set of 100mm Nova jaws on a permanent basis. I mounted the jaws with the numbers matched. They did not quite fit right. Called RP and they told me to switch two of the jaws (from memory I will say 3 and 4, but don't go to the bank with that), Anyway, they fit perfect after the switch. I do not know and don't particularly care why that occurs. The other difference is the tightening and loosening directions are reversed.

Last edited:
I have both the Record and SN2 chucks. I have Record pin jaws on one of my SN2 chucks and SN2 jaws on the Record chuck. When installing the jaws I read somewhere (maybe the Record instructions) to put the #3 jaw in the #1 location and the #1 jaw in the #3 location. The #2 and #4 jaws are left in their normal position. Supposedly because the Record tighten the opposite of the SN2. Works fine I prefer the Record chuck as it seem to be a better fit. The jaw slides on the record are much larger than the SN2.

Thanks Mike, Actually I think maybe it was your YouTube channel that told me they were interchangeable. BTW I love your channel and lately it seems you have been giving dimensions for the projects. Dimensions help me because I have almost mastered the tools, design still escapes me (like what size of ball should I use as eyes no a snow being?).

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
Thanks Mike, Actually I think maybe it was your YouTube channel that told me they were interchangeable. BTW I love your channel and lately it seems you have been giving dimensions for the projects. Dimensions help me because I have almost mastered the tools, design still escapes me (like what size of ball should I use as eyes no a snow being?).
Thanks, Jesse. No doubt, some size info on projects is helpful.

The Record Power Chuck documentation says switch the position of the 2 and 4 jaws when mounting Nova jaws on a RP chuck. Presumably this would be the same if mounting the RP jaws on a Nova chuck. I think it is understandable that Nova would want to minimize liability and maximize sales by discouraging interchangeability of jaws with other chucks. I have 5 Nova chucks, from Titan to Midi and two RP chucks. I like the RP chucks better. They just seem to be machined better and have a better insert system IMHO.

Back