• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Why flyers so very expensive????

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
I won't be able to have a booth in San Jose so I asked about putting flyers in the attendees envelopes. I didn't want them in all the vendor's packets, however they said they had to be..........ok. The office said to do 1,750 and told me who to send them send to and the deadline.......ok. One page, one side, color, heavier paper, .32 each. Total $560.00 + 6% tax + $12 shipping comes to $605.60........ok, it's expensive but. Then I get an email from the AAW office saying they charged my cc $200 for putting the flyers in the packets..........not ok. What happened to "we have to have the national shows where we can get a lot of volunteers."? Is the AAW paying someone that much......... I'm guessing maybe 8? 10? flyers per at $200 per business?

I'm feeling $805.60 sure is not going to make me want to do that again!

I have no problem supporting the AAW .......... to a point.

Ok, rant over, going outside to build a fence to keep my chickens in the yard.

Ruth Niles

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Ruth,

Most of the packet stuffers are volunteers. Some of the AAW staff get involved too.

The $200 is a fee that goes toward symposium income not toward anyone's salary.

registration fees, vendors booths, vendor tables, handbook advertising, packet advertisements, AAW merchandise sales, and a few other odds and ends are the symposium income.

It is the goal of the AAW to have Symposium income exceed symposium cost.
Thanks for your support,

I hope your flyer generates the sales you expect.
Hope you can catch all your chickens.
Down here they would be bobcat dinner.

Al

Last edited:
It's the nickel and dime approach. The charge should've been outlined to you prior. If not then legally they can't charge you. Dispute the charge to the cc company.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Brian
You are right about the nickel and dime approach.

But it is a service AAW chooses to offer along with vendor tables in the trade show

Most of the AAW Vendors are more the mom and pop than the big corporations.
So the AAW chose the nickel dime approach rather than high rent.

There has been a per page fee for packet materials for quite a while. So it is nothing new.

I'm sure Ruth has or will work out what she wants done with the AAW.

Al

Last edited:
Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Thanks for the response, Al. I was expecting to pay something, guess just not that much. I'm sure the office usually informs vendors of the cost and Jane probably thought Linda told me and Linda thought Jane did. That's ok.

It is a lot of money but it would cost me at least 3 times that amount to have a booth at the show.......with flying, freight, room, food, booth, etc.
Wish I could be there!

Have a great show and see you next year in Tampa, FL.

Ruth

Back