• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Who will make it to Portland

OK, yes, I've not been around hardly at all! Been teaching my behind off, but taking a week to go to Portland. Who will be there? I plan to look up Reed Gray, John Jordan and Emiliano Achaval. Anyone else traveling to Portland?

I'll be be there on Friday (and maybe Saturday morning for a short while, gotta get back to Seattle for a family event). Hoping to meet up with friends from the ornamental turning group, plus a few who want to talk about CNC turning.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have been getting things ready, getting there! 6 of us from Maui are going. I'm leaving Wednesday morning. Looking forward to meet you. I'm in the panel Thursday night about Rethinking demonstrations. Live remote demos... I'll be spending my free time between Doug Thompson booth, Mike Hunter and Lucid Woodturners. Busy days coming up!

Would like to go but not in the budget. Emiliano, drive safely from the garden island to Oregon. Just go up the Columbia River and turn right.

I was planning to be a videographer this year, but my middle daughter decided that she wanted to graduate from college the weekend of June 16/17.

Since I really don't want my family to collect on my life insurance, I thought it would be wiser to attend commencement than the AAW symposium.

Hy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'll be there through Sunday with about 20 club members from the Spokane area. It will be my first symposium and I'm looking forward to it!
Get prepared to be overwhelmed. Sensory overload in every dimmesion.
One special part is the intimate critique. You sign up for a session by category. Bring you piece over to the critique. You discuss your piece with an expert. You can ask questions make comments and get feedback one on one. It’s a great way to coalesce you own ideas by talking with a successful turner.

Get prepared to be overwhelmed. Sensory overload in every dimmesion.
One special part is the intimate critique. You sign up for a session by category. Bring you piece over to the critique. You discuss your piece with an expert. You can ask questions make comments and get feedback one on one. It’s a great way to coalesce you own ideas by talking with a successful turner.

I have a piece that will be in the instant gallery that I would love to have critiqued and ask questions about. Can I have a piece that I want critiqued in the instant gallery?

We have 24 club members going to the symposium, many have already warned me of the sensory overload thing, others have warned me to keep the credit card at home. Just sounds like a bunch of fun and it will be nice to meet some other turners as well.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Lauren and I will be there.

She is a demonstrator, and I will host a special interest night session on remote demonstrations and using video to share woodturning. I am also a panelist in the Woodturning with Physical Limitations session.

We will have a booth (Lucid Woodturners) in the vendor area where we can all meet and continue discussions about using technologies to produce, share, and teach woodturning... and play with some cool toys.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
have a piece that will be in the instant gallery that I would love to have critiqued and ask questions about. Can I have a piece that I want critiqued in the instant gallery?

You can have it critiqued in the intimate critique. You sign up in advance for a category that fits.
When you bring your pieces to gallery ask where the sign up sheet is.
If yours does not fit an obvious category. Consider the three on Friday - surface, design, collectors

3D527FF8-C945-47A1-A103-F7BA811FD23E.jpeg

On Sunday an invited panel does a critique of the whole gallery. The panelists each pick 3-5pieces to discuss during the session.

Back