• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where to get new lock plate for nova 1624

I bought a nova 1624 right before the COVID hit and on my second or third turning, the cast iron tail stock lock plate broke in half and fell on the floor.

I went to novas site to buy a replacement and they’re sold out. Contacted customer support, yup sold out and no clue when they’ll be in stock again.

tried buying a 2.5” “universal” one from lee valley. That works but only in between bed supports since it’s too thick. None on eBay or anywhere else I can find.

Link on teknatools site. https://www.teknatool.com/product/lockplate-tailstock-toolslide/

Thus I have been turning with no tail stock since I don’t really have another option I’ll accept.

Anyone know where I could get one somewhere?? I’m bewildered.

I may be missing a point, but can't you just grind down the not-so-universal plate to the desired thickness with an angle grinder? At least as a temporary solution. If not, then the piece looks like a fifteen minute job for an amateur blacksmith?
Lars

Google "Home Shop Machinist" magazine then go to "contact us" to see if there are any subscribers in your area and have them relay your needs to that person. The magazine serves metal working nuts who would probably jump at the chance to help out a wood turning nut.

Thanks for the comments so far. The issue with most is that I do not have the tools or place to grind down the universal one, and I also don't have the stuff to fabricate my own, which is why I'm trying to find one to buy.

Don, I'll check that out, thanks.

Steven,

What is the overall dimensions of the locking plate, I might have one in a box of parts?
Is the center hole threaded or just a passthrough hole?
Length, Width, Thickness, Diameter of center hole

Steven,

What is the overall dimensions of the locking plate, I might have one in a box of parts?
Is the center hole threaded or just a passthrough hole?
Length, Width, Thickness, Diameter of center hole

Here it is. It's just shy of 2.5" length/width and it's 13/32" high. That's a tapered hole, no threads. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• lockplate.jpg
    lockplate.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 64

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had a.Nova.comet and a Nova 3000. If my memory is.correct.the tailstock.lockimg plate.was threaded. I guess they have changed if yours isnt. It was a pain because the plate would often unscrew and the tailstock would then not lock.properly. they should have used a non threaded plate.with friction type of nut .

Does the locking plate need to be square, I have turned a few of these on my metal lathe in different diameters and then drilled the center hole as needed and thread as needed..

Does the locking plate need to be square, I have turned a few of these on my metal lathe in different diameters and then drilled the center hole as needed and thread as needed..
Everyone I know of that had a Jet or Delta midi lathe, replaced the stock round locking plate with a square one because the round ones would not provide enough surface area to keep the tailstock from slipping. Including me.

Contacted customer support, yup sold out and no clue when they’ll be in stock again.

I like my 2024, but Nova never planned on anyone needing spare parts. I need the headstock pivot bolt(?) and they aren't stocking them them any longer.

I'm not impressed with Nova's after-purchase support.

My next lathe will be from a company that plans on supporting their hardware for a least a couple of decades.

Someone could most likely turn a new pivot bolt for you on a metal lathe, a basic drawing with dimensions is all they need.

Back