• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What pen kit(s) after slimlines?

Hi,
Just finishing up my first pens--a starter kit from PSI with 20 pen & pencil sets. These blanks were pre-drilled & pre-cut. Most of them turned out well. I have to learn/practice more sharpening.

What should I try next ? There are so many choices! I'd like a little bigger pen. I have a lot of stuff now --drill press, pen vise, pen press, etc .(This sure is a pricey hobby.) I'd like to stick with pens for now, but go to the next step. Any good suggestions for vendors?
ernie

Try Ernie at www.BearToothWoods.com for supplies. Also check out penturners.org for advice.

My advice is to try a Sierra/Wallstreet style pen. You typically get two out of each blank, and while the pen kit is more expensive than your traditional slim pen, they're easy to assemble and they're a bit thicker than your slim pens.

You might also consider something with a cap, but try to avoid kits that require you to turn a tennon on the cap. You'll find it difficult to get the diameter just right when you first start out.

Ditto on Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods, he is the best at customer service. Ernie will sometimes let you mix and match kits for the qty discount, If you want something a little more challenging try the Cigar Pen.

I really like the Tool Box Pencils.... in fact I can't find mine right now and I miss it!

TL

Back