• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What is this cedar?

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
This tree overhangs my house and is about to be cut down. Any use for wood turning? I live in Grants Pass, southern Oregon.

Attachments

• IMG_6209p.jpg
    IMG_6209p.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6210p.jpg
    IMG_6210p.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6212p.jpg
    IMG_6212p.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 68

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I downloaded the pic and my phone app says it's an incense cedar, also known as white cedar and california post cedar. Says native to western US.

awfully soft wood....we use the limbs of green lacey for
xmas boughs with that wonderfully lovely cedar smell.
add some red ribbon and form the green lacey limbs. into a
circle and hang it from your door.
Yer wife will love it....

But then alot of cedars look alike.....the bark looks like western red
How tall is it....?

JMHO

If it is the western incense cedar, as a friend said, we should call it pencil cedar because that is all it is good for. Had a huge one on my property that had to be removed, almost 100 foot tall. Good thing about it was that it had a couple of boxwood trees under it, 5 inch diameter or so....

robo hippy

Back