• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What do you guys use to apply finish

Stay away from cloth rags if you apply the finish while the lathe is running. It is dangerous should something catch. Paper towels work well. I like the paper "rags" you can get at the box stores.

I usually use a cloth rag - lint free

I dont wrap it around anything so even if it catches it wont hurt me - but thats just me - do what you feel comfortable with

i've been using paper towels just because they are there and basically free but wasn't sure if using paper towels diminished the quality of the finish in any way.

finish application

About the only thing I apply on the lathe are oils and lacquer. As mentioned if you use a rag make it a lint free one and don't rap it around your finger. For lacquer, which I thin 50X50 with thinner, I use a "dobber" I buy from Tandy leather. It's like what you use to apply liquid shoe polish when you use to polish your shoes. I keep the 50X50 mixture in a small open mough jar, as well as the dobber.

Well, after careful consideration, and some trying of various materials, I use paper towels. No lint to get trapped in the finish, no cleanup, and ease of application. I don't know about using them for lacquer, but they work quite well with Antique Oil varnish. I tear a full sheet into quarters for the application rag, and use half a sheet in each hand for wiping down.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use Bounty paper towels. I tried other paper towels when I switched from Cotton rags. The bounty seems to leave less streaking than other towels.

For polishing with EEE, I use a paper towel for application, rubbing, and cleanup, followed by buffing with a clean old T-shirt. Then paste wax, also applied with paper towel. About 10-30 minutes later, buff with paper towel, then the T-shirt again. In all cases, only fingertip contact. Never wrap anything around a spinning object. The manufacturer of EEE suggests that paper napkins are an adequate substitute for cloth rags, a little softer than paper towels.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
It depends on the finish. For shellac and other sanding sealers, I just brush it on. For oils (ex: Watco or BLO), and for wipe on poly, I have a box of rags in my shop. I prefer to cut a hunk of an old T shirt...usually 4"x4" or so, fold it in half a couple times to make a small pad, dip it into the finish and apply it to a slowly rotating, or hand rotated piece.

Back