• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What are these?

I was cleaning up in the shop and came across these, I think they came with one of my lathes a few years ago. They are 6" and 4" in diameter. They resemble faceplates but don't have a way to screw onto a spindle. The piece that sticks out a little bit in the center is only an 1/8" high.

Does anyone know what these are and how they're used?

Damon

Attachments

• P1011241.JPG
    P1011241.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 200
  • P1011242.JPG
    P1011242.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 180
Those are faceplates that attach to a screw chuck. Record Power made a system like that back in the early 90’s. There was a removable center plug that held the screw in. When it was removed that tenon went into the hole to center it and it was held in place by three screws in the inner set of holes.

Greg, could you explain further? I didn't quite understand. These face plates don't have a removable plug or any place for a screw chuck to screw into. I'm probably mis-understanding what you were describing.

Greg, could you explain further? I didn't quite understand. These face plates don't have a removable plug or any place for a screw chuck to screw into. I'm probably mis-understanding what you were describing.
This was the only pic I could find and it’s a bit different than the one I had. I bought my first new lathe in the early 90’s and it came with something similar to this. In addition to the faceplate shown in this pic it had the ones like yours without the center hole for the screw. It’s possible yours might be a different brand since all the record stuff I had was hard chrome plated.
F4A675CA-6DAE-4379-A7E7-53F563BE5AEF.jpeg

Most metal turning chucks utilize a back closure plate that screws to the back side of the chuck, there is usually a through hole in the center for the spindle.
Your steel plates look very similar to these types of back closure plates for a metal turning chuck.

Back