• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What a difference a few months makes

Thought this was kind of cool comparison and some of you might appreciate it.

These two bowls are from the same maple tree, don't know what variety of maple.. I don't recall if it was a facebook or craigslist freebee but I filled the back of my Honda car with logs about a year ago.

The bowl on the right was turned a couple months after I brought the logs home, de-pithed and sealed and stacked them under my workbench. I used all within a few months except for one that got pushed aside for another six or eight months. I finally pulled that one out of the corner and turned a bowl from it a month or so back.

So, sitting in a dry garage after the ends were painted with anchorseal, after two months there are just a few small grey spots starting. After another (best guess) eight months, there are just a couple small spots starting to get soft and punky but the whole piece is discolored.

Both bowls were fully turned wet and set aside to dry. I log the weights on cards left in the bowls until the weight stays the same for a week or so. Then I sand a bit to clean it up and finish. These both got four or five layers of wipe-on poly.

Maple Bowl comparison resize.jpg

Pretty amazing difference between those two. The spalting pattern on the left one resembles an upside down running pig/animal.

.......The spalting pattern on the left one resembles an upside down running pig/animal.
Yep I see the running pig, we must have a touch of the same kind of crazy.

I have some maple logs that I have turned out of and they’re already getting good spalting, the rest of the log is under a couple feet of snow so it would be nice to get that degree of difference in spalting that you got come spring.

Very nice turnings.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Nice pieces. It's pretty amazing how much some wood will change with age. I typically try to let some of my log blanks age for a while - split in half with ends sealed. I lose some since I don't get to them all in time but the upside for improved color contrast and spalting is worth it. The contrast can be drastic from the fresh green turn to the 4-6 months out turn. Magnolia and Hackberry really change, similar to what you have here.

Back