• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Welded grinding jig, J-tool rest, Texas 3/4" bowl gouge?

I bought the Robert Sorby 3/4" bowl gouge so I had to weld up new fingernail grinding jigs out of 1" round and square tube. The gouge seems to sit in the inside V of the square jig best. I bent my "S" tool rest after a catch with the scraper so it is now a "J" tool rest and I welded on a brace from a ring rolled piece of square rod.

With regard to the 3/4" Sorby bowl gouge I see on Amazon a "Texas" style 3/4" bowl gouge blank, make your own handle, does anyone have that and how do you like it? I would think heavier is better is the "Texas" heavier and with a longer flute length to last longer as you grind it down?

Thank you. Newbie trainee Leland20180501_131717.jpg IMG3280.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Nice to see others who make their own jigs......bravo! :D

There are many benefits to be realized this way......some originally not part of the plan, but become major keys to success! ;)

Many others just throw money at it, and expect accelerated individuality to be purchased. :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

(Musta been one heluva catch!)

How fun time is when you are having flies..... Groucho I think...

Not sure if it is a good thing I don't have metal working tools or not...

robo hippy

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I bought the Robert Sorby 3/4" bowl gouge so I had to weld up new fingernail grinding jigs out of 1" round and square tube. The gouge seems to sit in the inside V of the square jig best. I bent my "S" tool rest after a catch with the scraper so it is now a "J" tool rest and I welded on a brace from a ring rolled piece of square rod.

With regard to the 3/4" Sorby bowl gouge I see on Amazon a "Texas" style 3/4" bowl gouge blank, make your own handle, does anyone have that and how do you like it? I would think heavier is better is the "Texas" heavier and with a longer flute length to last longer as you grind it down?

Thank you. Newbie trainee LelandView attachment 25331 View attachment 25332
Nice job on the home made jig! I would recommend you take a look at Doug Thompsons tools. They are more than worth the money you will be paying. Give Doug a call, you won't regret it. Aloha

Welding a rod to a tube at an angle is always a challenge in getting a good weld to secure a small attachment area, creating a bend at the end of the rod can provide a larger surface area to weld to the tube. This can also allow a little fine tuning of the jig by allowing you to secure one end in a vise and bending it slightly if needed if your angle is off by a degree or two.
Another option is drilling a hole through the tube at an angle so the steel rod can be inserted through the hole and then welded. This adds a lot of strength to the attachment point on your jig and also allows for fine adjustments of the angle of the tool after it is welded.
Adding a gusset to the point of attachment is also a very common method to strengthen an angular welded attachment by increasing the surface area of the weld and the triangular metal used for the gusset can match the angle needed for the jig.
You could also drill and tap threads at an angle into the tube wall if you have a heavy wall steel tube that can provide enough material for the threaded attachment point.
You can also use a round coupling cut on one end at an angle and welded to your jig collar the rod is then threaded or welded into the coupling this would be a round gusset providing more surface are to weld and additional support at the attachment point.
Another simple approach is welding a nut on the side of the steel tube and then threading the steel rod into the nut and secure it and bend the rod to the appropriate angle for the jig, or bend the rod at the appropriate angle first and then secure it to the nut.
For those without a welder you could use a gas torch and appropriate brazing rods to join metal parts together.

Back