• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

VFD

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I got a used Powermatic 90 with 1.5 HP Baldor motor 3 phase. What type of VFD should I buy for it?

ED Jarvis

It depends, Ed. What's the model number of the motor? Depending on the motor specs you might be fine with a basic V/Hz inverter for an average motor. If the motor is specifically designed for inverter duty then you would want to consider getting a fancier inverter with sensorless vector feedback for better performance.

Two years ago I retro-fitted an old Delta change pulley school lathe with a 1-1/2 HP 3 phase Baldor motor. I used a 1 HP Teco FM-50 plain jane VFD. The next size up VFD in the Teco line is for 2 HP but I would have had to run a new 240 volt circuit to power it, something I did not want to do. With the 1 HP VFD I powered it off an existing 120 volt circuit. Part of my decision process was it had a higher amp rating than most 1 HP motors and is also rated for a 50 percent overload of something like 30 seconds or a minute. In any case it was the right decision and worked perfectly for those two years I had the machine.

This was not my first experience with VFD's. My first Teco is 10 years old now. I have five other VFD's with two being Automation Direct. I buy the Teco's from Factorymation as they have outstanding service.

I bought one 3 years ago From Automation Direct. Since I have noticed supply houses opening around Atlanta offering them. I think demand is spreading so you might find a local supplier. Cost seems to be 10% of what it was 15 years ago, so things develop fast. Don't know how large an area you live in but look around for electrical drives or industrial drives.

I recently sold my PM 90. It is a very good lathe. I didn't have a VFD (put a single phase on it years ago) but thought about that. OWWM (if I can reference this site) has several threads on VFD's. I was going to use Automation Direct if I upgraded the lathe.
Here are a few other pointer regarding the PM 90;
You can still buy many OEM parts from Powermatic, however be careful of the part numbers as there are several parts list out there. I bought replacement banjo parts (buy individual as the kit is 3X as much) and replacement quill locking parts from Powermatic. Not sure what came with the lathe so here are a few of the things I bought. For tool rest I bought the ones on eBay a guy makes that are round bar with a flat on the work side. The 12" and 6" are about $55. These are decent tool rest. I also bought the quill lock handle from him as Powermatic wanted about $100 and his was $20. The one thing you must have is the spindle spacer as no chuck will seat against the spindle because of the long threads. The spacer use to be listed on the Woodturning store web site, but now says to email him for info. I did buy the HTC 125 chuck that is a good chuck, but large.
Mine was a jack shaft motor and I eventually raised it to 18" swing. Cost to raise was not much, but needed new tool rest that I got from Robust. Note I had the offset banjo that allowed me to take advantage of the full 18" swing otherwise you will be limited because of the banjo. Some bought new banjos frome Oneway and sold the PM banjos.

Most of the OEM parts availability for the PM 90 are drying up. I've searched many sources online for PM 90 parts and the only parts available are replacement belts and bearings. I own 3 PM 90's and the newest is a 1994 model....good thing when I bought the lathe used, it was almost brand new. Same as the 1958 PM 90 that I bought last year....almost brand new.

Most replacement parts for the 90's are usually sourced from eBay or Craigslist. I missed an opportunity to purchase 4 or more PM 90's at a school surplus auction about 60 miles from my shop. The auction company failed to list the PM equipment correctly. Probably sold real cheap.

Gary

Gary, you can still get many parts from Powermatic. https://parts.powermatic.com/
I have bought the handle lock parts, quill lock and some internal parts. They don't have everything by any means, but more than you think. Sometimes pricy.
For instance you can get the quill screw P/N 3692003 for $73.58. Or the spindle lock plunger 3601006 $17.29

William, thank you for the link. I did check out the PM parts page.

I wonder if there would be any interest to PM 90 owners if someone decided to offer custom made parts for their lathes. Different spindle thread sizes, riser block kits, tailstock cam action lock down kit, etc.

Gary

Gary, I no longer have my PM 90, but for sure the riser kits would be of interest along with a cam lock tail stock lock. I would think you could make a riser for the banjo to use existing tool rest and banjo. If I could have bought the riser kit I would have. I used wood with 1/2" acrylic on the bottom, aluminum with steel on the ways would be better, all steel would be very heavy. I would have like to have a standard spindle thread, but not sure I would have went that far into the lathe unless changing bearings.

Last edited:
Back