1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Very large lathe for sale - Bend, OR

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archives' started by Mike Lake, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Lake

Mike Lake

Location (City & State):
    Bend, OR
    This is a very large custom built wood lathe that was my Father's - he used it to turn porch columns, very large bowls, etc. I designed and built this lathe in 1987/88 as my senior project in engineering school, and Dad used it occasionally until his passing in 2005. I am now moving machinery out of his cabinet shop and I need to find a home for this lathe. Given the history of the machine, I would really like to find it a home that has the room and that will use it on occasion. It is way too large for my needs, I don't have room for it, and it honestly isn't very good for small projects anyway - it's best suited for large work.

The lathe has a max capacity of 24" in diameter and 8 feet (96") in length. It is powered by a 2hp single phase 220V motor, and has 5 speeds that are selectable by the pulley and jackshaft system shown in the photos. Spindle speeds are 199, 348, 696, 1392, and 2436 rpm. The lathe is reversible and runs in both directions for turning off the back side of the headstock. The headstock has 2"x4.5 threads on both ends, and #3 morse tapers in both ends as well. The tailstock also has a #3 morse taper. The lathe comes with an assortment of faceplates, drive dogs, tool rests, and a very nice Raffan multi-collet chuck that threads onto either end of the headstock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, this machine is large and needs to be securely bolted down to a concrete floor. It weighs right at 1,000 pounds.

If I can find a good home for it, the price will be very affordable - like $500. I recognize that the market for such a machine is very small and specialized. That said, I cannot keep it and really do not want to tear it down for salvage and scrap. I'd like to think something I built with my hands 30 years ago can stand the test of time and be used for years to come.

The lathe is located in Bend, Oregon; and is currently sitting on my trailer. I could possibly be talked into delivering it within a reasonable distance (3 hours?), although I'd prefer someone come pick it up. I have a tractor with a loader and can help you load it onto your trailer or into your truck. It would fit into a full size pickup bed if we disassembled it, which would not be too difficult to do - maybe an hour or so and a few tools would do it. If disassembled, the individual components could be moved around by one or two stout people.

Any questions - post them up in this thread or send me an email at mlake01@yahoo.com

Thank you!
    - Mike

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Gerald Lawrence likes this.
  2. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    Wow.....fantastic piece of engineering! As a bowl lathe, it would be worth much more to the right person.......just add a little creativity, and someone with the means to cut down the length some. Good range of speeds, and a variable speed could be added. That lathe is going to sell. :D

-----odie-----

Zach LaPerriere likes this.
  3. Zach LaPerriere

Zach LaPerriere

Location (City & State):
    Sitka, Alaska, United States
    Home Page:
    Wow! Amazing piece of work. What a great gift for your Dad.

I'm guessing someone will buy this fast, and remove the temptation for the rest of us! I'll be thinking about how to justify your lathe all day. :)

odie likes this.
  4. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    Wish I lived closer! Nicely designed piece of equipment!

Chuck Lobaito likes this.
  5. Dylan Skeean

Dylan Skeean

Location (City & State):
    Auburn, MA
    What a great looking lathe, super heavy duty and very well built for sure! I'm sure this will sell, $500. is a great price! My only concern would be my limited space in my shop.

Chuck Lobaito likes this.
  6. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    What a beauty!! Amazing, I'm drooling all over myself. You cant buy the steel for that price... Should sell soon. Good luck!

7. Mike Lake

Mike Lake

Location (City & State):
    Bend, OR
    Hi guys - the lathe is tentatively sold! It will be staying in Oregon and going to a very good home.
    Thank you so much for the help, and I will be sure to post an update if anything changes.

Thanks again,
    -Mike

8. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    I will leave the thread open a bit longer until the deal is confirmed.

9. Mike Lake

Mike Lake

Location (City & State):
    Bend, OR
    The lathe is sold - it couldn't have gone to a better home, and I am very happy with how everything worked out!
    Thank you everybody for the interest and help.

Best,
    Mike

10. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    That is a real lathe! Got one and need to learn how to take advantage of all the features beside turning bee hives and pens.
    An aside though, enjoyed the drive from Portland to Bend several years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.