• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using a drawbar: AAW Fundamentals video

That may not be the most sophisticated subject for an instructional video, but I believe it's the clearest one I've ever seen. Well done!

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Thank you all for the kind words about the video.

Sometimes it's the simplest techniques and tools that one person uses that can easily be applied to our own work.

If you haven't already done so, you might take a look at the other videos I have done so far for the AAW Woodturning Fundamentals series, as they follow a similar style.

I am also looking for some input on topics you would like to see made into videos for the series. For example, the suggestion for doing the drawbar video came from Linda Ferber.

If you have ideas for future videos, please send them to me via private message (so as not to take this thread off topic). Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have spent considerable electronic ink explaining drawbars to new turners in various forums. Now I just have to link to this video. The only additional information I would have included is, if using your Jacobs chuck in the headstock, you may still not be completely safe if your chuck is joined to the mandrel with a Jacobs taper.

About the late reply, I am on a business trip (to Malaysia) that has kept me from frequenting my online haunts.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
John, thanks for the comments.

I agree that the Jacobs taper can also slip. Although this rarely happens when applying pressure during drilling/boring, it's more likely when backing out the drill to remove swarf. This is particularly true for large bits, as when making pepper mills.

Another approach that is particularly applicable to Forstner bits is to use a simple Morse taper collet chuck that is threaded for a drawbar. Many Forstner bits have 3/8" shanks, so one collet can be used for the multiple bits used while making a pepper mill. I will try to make a few photos of a collet in the tailstock today.

Last edited:
One thing to point out with simple Morse Taper collets and mini-lathes, is that the collets are generally threaded 3/8-16, and I find the taper eject mechanism in the tailstock of my Delta LA200 interferes with the use of a drawbar that size. I have to rely on seating the collet very firmly, and going easy on the drilling. I also have not made pepper mills, so I rarely use Forstner bits over 3/4".

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
John,

Yes the collets are generally threaded 3/8 - 16. This is not an issue on my Nova DVR, and I will take a look at how it would work on some of my smaller lathes (a Delta 46-460 and a Jet 1014). It should make for some interesting challenges. I will make some photos along the way.

Back