• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Update to being civil and what will not be tolerated

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
We have had A LOT of mail lately about what someone else has said, etc.
We will not tolerate any uncivil behavior including but not limited
to

Name calling - even in jest, since the sense of humor has been thrown out the door lately
Conjecture - assuming since some fact is missing, you get to conclude collusion, theft or dishonesty.

Additionally - we will not allow anyone to post for someone else. You can not post on someone else's behalf. If they are not here to post it, don't. You cannot put words in someone else's' mouth. I don't care if they are traveling or in a meeting. If they can't post it, it does not get posted. If it does, it will get removed. And I don't care if it is Mary or Tom's letter.

We also do not take kindly to email threats, if you have an issue with something or someone including Kurt, Ed or me, you have to email me steve@turningwood.com. I am the administrator here and I have the final say. Do not take that as a threat or chest puff. We are trying our very best to remain somewhat neutral, but we all have our opinions and even objectivity is subjective and in questions by all right now.

Do not post in bold, large letters or ALL CAPS. It is read as offensive and off times a threatening posture.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks, Steve. I have been away for the past week attending to my "real" life. Upon returning home tonight, I took glance at the thread titles and seeing how things have degraded into what amounts to nothing more than bickering by both sides of this issue. I decided that I won't waste my time on any of it (this doesn't mean that I won't be involved, but just that i won't participate in meaningless arguments on this forum where everybody has already become firmly entrenched and is just lobbing grenades while pretending to take take the high road). My time away dealing with life and death matters, has helped me to better appreciate what is important in life and what is trivial.

Steve, you have done a remarkable job as moderator and administrator and I thank you very much for the way that you have handled things during this controversy.

degeneration

Steve, thanks for your laborious work here. I have read virtally ever post, skipping the 'personal' inerchanges. At this point nothing 'new' is available for posting, I believe. It is amazing, however, that some threads have recieved 17,00+ or more "views."
I do not take exception to the rules--though I might edge up to limits whenever I don't take a deep breath, pause and edit.
Again, thanks, you have my most heartfelt appreciation.

Last edited:
When you say "don't post in bold," I assume you mean all bold, not the occasional word just for emphasis.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
When you say "don't post in bold," I assume you mean all bold, not the occasional word just for emphasis.

Theoretically yes, but if I am in a bad mood, no, no bold as all. Varies with how many hundreds of posts I have to read before I get to that one.

I concur with Steve's assessment. If I have just read a number of posts with bold, it will not go well. But, if I have seen bold in just one member's posts repeatedly, then obviously he (she) is not getting the message.

Steve: "Do not post in bold, large letters or ALL CAPS. It is read as offensive and off times a threatening posture."

Frank: "When you say "don't post in bold," I assume you mean all bold, not the occasional word just for emphasis."

Steve: "Theoretically yes, but if I am in a bad mood, no, no bold as all. Varies with how many hundreds of posts I have to read before I get to that one."

KurtB: "I concur with Steve's assessment. If I have just read a number of posts with bold, it will not go well. But, if I have seen bold in just one member's posts repeatedly, then obviously he (she) is not getting the message."

Seems rather capricious to me. Besides, a single emphasized word - italics, underline, bold, caps, quotation marks, whatever - certainly isn't "offensive" or a "threatening posture." If you disagree, then I would suggest that you remove the ability to post in bold or large letters from the forum and then folks won't get aggravated by them - but will still have to contend with the "all caps" crowd unless you can figure out a way to make the forum all lower case.

Howdy Frank:
Well, since you're so full of good ideas, how about you volunteer to take Steve's place? He's resigned, you know. He only did it for seven years. So, how about it?:rolleyes:

Frank, let me get this straight - you would rather have a rule policing it than just doing it yourself?

How about if everyone simply complies with the rule - no bold, no caps. As Frank has pointed out, single words are usually not the problem. But an entire sentence italicized is less hostile than an entire sentence in bold or caps.

Let's not forget underlined and quotation marks for emphasis as well. We may all have to brush up on our grammar and puncutation rules before we're through! :)

Howdy Frank:
Well, since you're so full of good ideas, how about you volunteer to take Steve's place? He's resigned, you know. He only did it for seven years. So, how about it?:rolleyes:

FYI Ed: you don't have to be an artist to recognize a bad painting, or a chef to recognize bad food, or a mechanic to notice something is not right with your car . . . I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

Since this post is still here, I presume snotty remarks are OK.

Frank, let me get this straight - you would rather have a rule policing it than just doing it yourself?

Not at all. I was simply pointing out that if we are going to delete posts that use any bold words, then it would be a lot simpler to just eliminate the ability to put them into our posts at all. :cool2:

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Not at all. I was simply pointing out that if we are going to delete posts that use any bold words, then it would be a lot simpler to just eliminate the ability to put them into our posts at all. :cool2:

Oh my, I do hope you said this kiddingly. This reminds me of safety caps; because one person allowed unattended little kids in their work shop and left a can of Watco Danish Oil on the edge of their work bench to drink.......it has been assumed no one is smarter than that.

So, since you have to hit "shift" or "caps lock", it's not like the computer accidentally does all caps, I would like to believe people who can run machinery should know how to not type in all caps........key word being "should".

I know you were kidding, Frank. ;)

Oh my, I do hope you said this kiddingly. This reminds me of safety caps; because one person allowed unattended little kids in their work shop and left a can of Watco Danish Oil on the edge of their work bench to drink.......it has been assumed no one is smarter than that.

So, since you have to hit "shift" or "caps lock", it's not like the computer accidentally does all caps, I would like to believe people who can run machinery should know how to not type in all caps........key word being "should".

I know you were kidding, Frank. ;)

Not at all. If you read the previous post you will find that Steve and Kurt both said that they would delete posts using any bold if they happened to have read a bunch of other posts with bold words. This sounded suspiciously like deleting posts with any bold words, so I simply recommended removing the ability to create bold words to save themselves the aggravation. :D

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Steve, thank you for sticking with the job as long as you have. I would have thrown in the towel in disgust a long time ago.

Actually, it isn't in disgust as much as I want to back to my turning and sandpaper business more. The other, possibly bigger reason, is that I want to find someone who can dig deeper into the software than I can and come up with cool features for you guys (people).

Back