• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Uneven tinting

I tried to tint a piece of pecan with TransTint from Woodcraft. Soaket for quite a while. It did a good job and color seemed to be what I expected. However, there are little tiny streaks where the tint did not penetrate. I'm guessing it is the type of wood with a coarse grain. I do have other types of light color wood. BTW, I have tons of pecan wood so I use a lot of it for various projects. Your help is appreciated.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't think that soaking is the right approach. The problem is that dye will penetrate into end grain, but not into side grain. It sounds like you are wanting to add a lot of color so my suggestion is to make a concentrated mixture of the dye and alcohol (or water or acetone) and then wipe on thin layers of dye using a cloth or paper towel. To get an even color on the wood, I briskly rub the color into the wood when the cloth is barely damp, but not wet with dye.

It penetrated the sides but left tiny streaks in the color. It was a white color showing through the blue. I'll try the wipe-on as you suggest. Thanks.

Back