• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

uncertain times

I thought I was all set to spend the next week or so rough turning a new batch of logs into bowls. Well, wouldn't you know, my shop vac that powers my dust collection burned up its motor. How quickly can I get in and out of the big box hardware store with a new shop vac?

There are some pretty scary stories coming out of Italy. I don't understand the shortage of protective gear for medical staff. In 3m is producing 35 million a month in the USA, what are they doing with them. Big press release said a half million shipped to hospitals around New York. That is only a half days production, where are the rest? My 26 yr old has typical invincible, "can't happen to me", and keeps wanting to go out. Told her in no uncertain terms, that if she wants to go out fine, after she has a place of her own. We don't need her bringing it home to either of us.

Forrest, order it online for local pickup and maybe they'll have it for you in a locker in the entry foyer....

Good thought. Knowing the staff there though, it's probably quicker to just grab it myself. Shop vacs are right near the check out and I'm sure I can grab one and get out of there before customer service can give me a dirty look, put down their cell phones and put more unwashed hands on the box.

Home depot hasn't been too bad with delivery even recently. I just looked at a shop vac and they showed the following projected delivery options:
Thu, Apr 2 FREE
Priority Ground Shipping
If ordered within 11 hrs 58 mins

Tue, Mar 31 $26.01
Expedited Shipping

Mon, Mar 30 $40.20
Express Shipping

Local grocery store has curbside pickup. A friend went online- order Wednesday and pick up Friday. You are lucky to find 75% in stock. Wife went and found everything, even toilet paper and paper towels, except the meat department looked like Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

I really prefer that option now. No standing in line at the cash register, no feeding my credit card into a machine and punching a screen.
Our local Costco has installed cough (spit) screens made of clear plastic and are wiping down the whole POS machine including conveyor belt and arm rest with clorox wipes between customers. They are spacing people out and there's only 1 way in and out now.

I thought I was all set to spend the next week or so rough turning a new batch of logs into bowls. Well, wouldn't you know, my shop vac that powers my dust collection burned up its motor. How quickly can I get in and out of the big box hardware store with a new shop vac?
Your local big box may do delivery. I ordered some mulch that way a few months back. It was like a $10 delivery fee.

I went to my local Ace Hardware store last week, and they were wiping down all the cart handles before they gave you one, and the check out clerks were wiping down the counter and the credit card machines between each customers. No such protocall at the grocery store, which is scary to me...

robo hippy

The big box store trip was not too bad. I did pay for the shop vac online and it was ready to pick up when I got there. There were very few people there and no lines, or any people checking out at all when I got there. I don't have the patience to wait for (and too cheap to pay for) delivery of something that's two miles away. I was however prepared to turn around and leave if it was an unruly mob like I did last week at the grocery store.

It's all about balancing risks.
There's no way I'll venture near the WalMart at this point. But I think it was worth the risk last night so that I can get back to making wood chips today.

You can't fix stupid.
Our company employees have a weekly safety meeting which includes passing a clipboard around so they can sign in to show they attended the weekly event.
As they have adopted safe distancing between other people and limiting the number of people in a meeting they still insist on passing a clipboard around at each meeting.
At this rate I might as well be at the local truck stop employing the local talent.

Wife said some stores are putting Plexiglas partitions between the cashiers and customers.

Mrs is a nurse on the safety committee at her hospital. From the lectures and conferences they have had, those plexiglass partitions are about 2% more effective than no shield. The cloth masks every little old lady is sewing, is only 5% more effective than no mask at all. Now today I find out from her that some patients that dies in the past two days had test results come back positive after death. But health regs require the death certs be filled out within a certain time and if the test result comes back after the death cert is filled out, the death is not reported in the official Covid death count. So there may be dozens of deaths across the country that have not been counted.

On the flip side, anyone who dies and has tested positive is counted, even if they died from other causes. Seems like these two errors balance each other out.

Back