• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Two pens and a first!

I turned a pen this morning for our chapter meeting this coming Tuesday. I asked the Mrs. if she wanted to try turning. She had mentioned this a while back but I didn't press the issue. She did quite well and did most of the turning herself. I fine tuned it to final diameter and she finished it with CA. One pen is a satin with maple blank. The finish is two coats of black Sharpie, wiped with acetone to even out the color and eight coats of thin CA. Her pen is flame box elder and a copper Slimline. There was a glitch in the grain- sort of a scratch but not her fault. Two coats of medium CA and six coats of thin CA made it look good. Taking both to the meeting. BTW, she is finishing a left-to-right cut and not starting at the end as it looks. 20190223_151620.jpg 20190223_143552.jpg Photos attached.

Even suited up, SWMBO is not as scary as you have led us to believe. ;) Nice for you to be sharing an enjoyable pastime with her. Plus, if she takes to it, you'll need a second lathe--maybe a Robust!

Dean, looked at the Robust line, the Sweet 16. I don't own oil wells or railroads and the wife says I'm next to get a job if I want more "big boy toys."
Bobby, my wife keeps asking when I'm going to get a cheap hobby. Haven't found one yet. This was my wife's first turning. If she show any interest, I'll see if she would want to take the penturning class at Woodcraft. My grandson and I took the class at different times. Bill LaRoque is the instructor. I had some questions but Bill has taught the class so many times, he anticipates them and answers them in a clear manner, easy to understand plus demonstrates the technique to the class.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
when I'm going to get a cheap hobby.
You may be surprised ina year or so like I was.

I got lucky there weren’t a lot of people turning when I got serious about it.
The club got me started in a group Christmas show. The light came on that people would pay me to get better.
I was fortunate that I could use my sales to buy tools.
While you can make money hustling golf all my friends got friendly jealous of me having a hobby I could make money at while they poured money into greens fees and boat slips.

Woodturning bought me a ONEWAY 2436, ONEWAY 1018, a bandsaw, a chainsaw, and a bunch of stuff. But more than that it introduced me to lots of great friends.

hb, well said. I really don't anticipate making a lot of $$$ at this. But...I won't turn down any $$$. I'm going to make up some of the gun-type pens and see what I can drum up at the local gun club.

hb, well said. I really don't anticipate making a lot of $$$ at this. But...I won't turn down any $$$. I'm going to make up some of the gun-type pens and see what I can drum up at the local gun club.
I hear ya John! I'm just turning for the fun of it. I have other hobbies and stuff that keep me busy, besides work, but I really wasn't looking to make any money off anything. With that said, a contractor at my wifes work wants to buy one of my bolt action pens. He says he'll give me $50 for it. heck ya!! Can't turn that down. Lol
Bolt Action.jpg

Bobby, take the money before he changes his mind. Good sale. Word of mouth is the best advertising. I sold four lever action pens for Christmas presents. Customer had one on his desk, people were constantly playing with the lever.
Sign in a business owner's office- This is a non-profit organization. This wasn't our original plan.

Last edited:
I always considered my self a 'semi pro' which means I didn't make a living at it, but made enough to support my hobby in style..... You may be wet up to your ankles now....

robo hippy

Back