• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Saver & Taper Socket Cleaner

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Two tips in one--well, three actually!
-first, a maple morse taper socket wiper:
maple_arbor.jpg
I turned this freehand from 3/4" x 3/4" maple stock for a fairly close fit in the MT sockets, and cut flutes on the tapered section with a carving gouge about 1/16" thick. It acts as sort of a wooden "reamer" to wipe out a MT socket. Not made to be pretty, just a functional piece of wood.

Second, using that wiper for another purpose, is a turning saver. This evolved starting with another idea, a tip in itself which many of you may already use: cellophane shipping wrap to hold a weak turning together. Also makes a great clamp when gluing cracks and such.
Wrap the tape well around the turning, making sure to fold a bunch of it down over the rim towards center. This will act as a cushion for the saver, which also has a short section of foam pipe insulation fitted over it.
Now you can part off a goblet, candlestick, box, etc. without it flopping all over and breaking to smithereens. Just catch the bottom with your right hand while parting the last little bit with your left:
foamsaver.jpg

For small-mouthed vessels, or simply instead of my "reamer", use a dowel of appropriate size. Wrap the outer end running in the opening with that shipping tape to avoid scuffing the turning. The dowel can be fitted into the socket by coiling duct tape in one or two places on the dowel, for a snug fit.

Wonder what that thinga-ma-jig is top and center? Find out here.

Last edited:
Can do, Ken

Thanks Ken.
I have been wanting a reamer cleaner for my No 2 morse tapers for awhile, but the local tool shop never has the no. 2 size. Now I know why not--we can do it ourselves. Thanks for the thought.

A tool similar to this can also be made for chucking spheres for secondary turning/sanding. For best fit in the taper socket, I turned the general shape of the taper, and made several test fits in the socket with the lathe stationary, wringing the taper in the socket. I just sanded the regions of wood that got polished; a little like "blueprinting," but without the mess of ink or paint. Then turn a shallow conical depression in the outboard end to accommodate a range of sphere sizes. One of these days, I'll make a few more for a larger size range. The tailstock only needs a simple pressure pad.

Joe

Attached are the specs for an MT2 taper.

Another option is to turn the taper with a dowel at the other end, spiral wrap a strip of sandpaper on it and you have a cheap 'n cheerful drum sander.

Attachments

• MT2.JPG
    MT2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 156
I use a baby bottle brush

Thanks Ern. I've been wanting to make a #2MT alignment tool for getting the headstock and tailstock realigned after swiveling the headstock on my DVR XP lathe....Ron

To get the proper taper - just take a scrap piece of plywood and lay a Morse Taper on it. Then take two small pieces of scrap wood cut to about the length of the Morse Taper - and place them along side the Morse Taper and hot glue the wood into place. You now have the taper to try your fit of your turning.
Hugh

Back