1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Turning made my hair fall out

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by John Hicks, Jun 29, 2020.

1. John Hicks

John Hicks

Now I know why I'm bald: it has to be because of the wind from turning large, out of balance pieces on my lathe. Now that I've got that figured out; I can relax when jamming a nice sharp bowl gouge into a lopsided piece of log!

2. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

I turn super miniatures and my hair is falling out. So apparently turning in general makes your hair fall out. Also apparently ads thickness to your waistline.

3. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

The practice of "jamming" any turning tool into any turning especially an untrued bowl blank is likely the cause of your hair loss.
    I prefer to ease the tool toward the cut so that may be why I still have a full head of hair and a hair cut price is the same.

4. GRJensen

GRJensen

I haven't noticed any hair loss, but I am certain that turning makes me swear more.

5. John Torchick

John Torchick

It is said the dictionary doesn't have all the words needed to describe a catch.

6. robo hippy

robo hippy

It isn't a bald spot, it is a solar panel. I do have to keep mine covered most of the time...

robo hippy

7. John Hicks

John Hicks

I like to buff my shiny head with a good micro crystalline wax.

8. Charles Cadenhead

Charles Cadenhead

That could be your million dollar idea! You need to get to Shark Tank. :)

9. Karl Best

Karl Best

It's somehow made my wallet lighter, and my dining room is full of bowls.

10. Dustin Cook

Dustin Cook

upload_2020-7-1_23-58-36.jpeg
    John,
    I’m not promoting a product but this may be right up your alley. These are the t-shirts that my fellow Greater Vancouver Woodturners Guiid member Art Liestman makes and another member Larry Stevenson is modelling: http://www.artliestman.com/t-shirts.html

upload_2020-7-1_23-58-36.jpeg

11. Ric Williams

Ric Williams

When you say "swear more", are you referring to frequency, variety, or both? I find that my frequency of swearing has increased, but the vocabulary is lacking. I've thoroughly explored the extent of english language swearing, so maybe it's time to learn it in other languages. Since a lot of curse words are culturally based, I'd be learning more about cultures and traditions too. A win-win situation.

I didn't realize that woodturning could be so enriching in other ways.

GRJensen likes this.
  12. GRJensen

GRJensen

Sometimes I wish I could remember the Danish swear words Grandpa used to use!

13. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

@ Gerald: If you recall the meaning of Grandpa's words, I'll happily translate for you - off forum. I have trained my vocabulary for a dozen years, one failure at a time.
    My language seems to turn more decent every year now, though!

14. Donovan Bailey

Donovan Bailey

All of us need to embark on a program to continuously improving our entire woodturner's skills and experience. As such, maybe we should start a new thread for the purpose of expanding our "turner's swearing vocabulary?"

15. odie

odie

Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    My vocabulary doesn't seem to change much, but the volume is be going up! :rolleyes:

Then, there are those few wood chips that seem to migrate into the house.....and, in the bed. :D

-----odie-----

Lamar Wright and Donovan Bailey like this.