• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning club scam

I've read about this particular scam before but it happened to me this morning and I wanted to spread the word in case some of you hadn't heard of it.

I got an email from the club president this morning asking for my help with purchasing some gift certificates that will be used for an auction to benefit a local veteran charity. I wasn't sure what I was being asked to do so i replied and asked for clarity. I then got a reply to purchase $1000 (10x $100) in gift certificates to basically "wherever" and I'd be reimbursed. Then scratch off the codes on the back and email the pres. a pic of the numbers and he'd send a check. Thing was, and I didn't realize it at first, the email was fake. Were I a more trusting/gullible person and had I not had the pres. email in autogenerate forms (we talk regularly) it might have worked.

Pretty silly right? Well considering the demographic of most clubs and the lack of technical saavy of some of the members it's actually a fairly slick scam.

So, people are cruising our club websites and making fake emails using the president's name and targeting members using the email addresses listed on our club websites.

I'm sure nothing more needs to be said here. Just posting to put the word out in case someone hadn't heard of this before. I'm hoping to send out a club wide email. I think they just had bad luck targeting me this time but for all I know the entire club population might have this email in their inbox right now...

The number of scammers out there is mind numbing. Most of them are pretty easy to spot as scams but some are pretty clever.
It is worth keeping in mind that, if an email or phone call is unexpected, it is more likely a scam than legitimate.
It's a sad truth of the times.

Thanks, Tom. I'm sure my email will accompany my Publisher's Clearing House prize check.:D

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Our club treasurer recently got something similar, claiming to be from our new (as of Jan) president, and asking for a reimbursement. He picked up the phone... If your club board communicates poorly about what's going on, and/or has loose procedures for spending (vote, approvals, etc) then this could be a problem.

But it sure seems like a high-effort scam (the ones I've heard about were fairly specific, tailored to the positions involved etc) for low payback.

Back