• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Classes

If I want to start woodturning classes in my shop do I have to get separate insurance or does the AAW insurance cover me?

How does one start a woodturning school?

I already have a large shop with 8 lathes.

Thanks

I would check with your business insurance company first. You do want liability coverage.

robo hippy

My understanding is that for the AAW insurance policy to cover you, the activity whatever it is, wherever it is, must be sanctioned by an AAW chapter as a chapter event.

skip the Insurance

Okay let's skip the insurance thing I will get my agent to figure that one out. How about the processes to start a southern woodturning school.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I know of no regulations or certifications for running a turning school.

Adhere to any local ordinances such as zoning, fire Marshall restrictions.
Probably form an LLC to protect against a major suit
Advertise in the AAW Journal.
Build a web site

Successful schools have
1. adequate facilities with housing, food, equipment
2. A faculty of top notch teachers
3. Students

1 is easy to solve, you provide breakfast and lunch and work a discount with a local motel.

2 and 3 are the chicken and egg. Good teachers teach at the best schools the best schools get the best teachers.

You may be able attract some good teachers who come to Florida very year, get Florida symposium demonstrators to teach the week before and week after he florida symposium... Maybe you know one or two top turners who would teach for you. Regardless you have to pay the instructors a going rate and feed and house them.

-al

Last edited:
It's my feeling that you will have to get started by hiring the "big name" touring woodturners to make it a going project. Week long classes may produce the most profit, but those guys can get rather booked up with all the other schools. After you get a reputation and following, then you can do more classes by yourself.

@ Brian

west palm beach , Florida

Back