• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning big work on a smaller lathe

thanks for the video, first picture of a donut chuck that show how they are use that I have seen, I hope that your battery are sealed against dust getting in

Any folks with the 16-24 or DVR with reverse could turn without a big outrigger, no? Banjo is long, and the stock rest is, too. Mine's a 3000, so I can't, but the geometry looks right.

Any folks with the 16-24 or DVR with reverse could turn without a big outrigger, no? Banjo is long, and the stock rest is, too. Mine's a 3000, so I can't, but the geometry looks right.

My Lathe is a Nova 3000. With the headstock at between 45-90 degrees, I can go about 4"-6" deep and up to 24" wide with this before things start getting hard to reach. It pays to have the work well balanced. In addition, if you swing the headstock to the backside of the lathe, you get a little more access without the long reach over the tool rest.

I wouldn't want to do this every day, but for the days that I use it, it works pretty nicely.

Back