• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

turning a wine stopper video

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did this video to show how I use the Thompson detail gouge. I try to explain how I control the shape of the piece by rubbing the bevel and moving the handle to control where the bevel goes. I hope you learn something from it. I'm learning to do video and really have a long way to go. feel free to offer tips. If you have any suggestions of things you would like to see let me know and I'll try to do a short video using that technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfZsH-Xprtg

John,

Great vid for turning a bead, showing how to sweep the handle while pivoting the tool. One of the best and easiest I've ever seen and absolutely the best commentary. Perfect viewing angle. Your editing could use some work, but I'm sure you know that from Your Other Job. Lighting was fine, and not having the mic didn't detract from the vid at all. A brief explanation of your grind might do well here, Thompson detail gouge, with secondary bevel, etc. See other vid for details on how I do this.

I think I'd call it Turning a Bead. From the title, I assumed that I would also see how you attach the blank, which is why I would change the title to Bead something or other. "This vid shows turning a bead on a bottle stopper, but the technique can be applied to any spindle work, etc.........."

Just some rambling thoughts here, not nitpicking, you did ask.........:D

More, please............and thanks for sharing.

Rich

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
thanks Rich. This video was done specifically to show a turner how to turn the end of the wine stopper. I just got carried away and showed how to turn the whole thing. Maybe I should have shown how to turn the whole thing.
I'm going to try to do a short series of just simple techniques, like how to turn a cove, to a skew practice piece. any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Back