• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning a Thin Platter

I've turned several large platters over the past year and would like to share some learnings on how to achieve a thin and elegant look. I like to work large, so my platters are all 20"-22" wide. To achieve a even 1/8" - 1/4" thickness, first turn the back of the platter and sand it to the desired finish. Then turn the front by starting with the outer 4 or 5 inches. Sand that portion before turning the remainder of the front. When turning at this scale you may get some warpage (or chatter) in the piece regardless of the wood type. This will result in uneven thicknesses. But that can be greatly minimized by leaving thickness in the center and working from the outside in. The result is a lighter and more desirable esthetic.

Attachments

• forumWebFront.jpg
    forumWebFront.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • forumwebBack.jpg
    forumwebBack.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,065
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've tried to turn a couple of platters, but the chatter usually causes a lot of tear out on the outer edges. I'll give your suggestion a try.

John Abt

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Jim Bremer said:
..can be greatly minimized by leaving thickness in the center and working from the outside in.

That makes perfect sense, that the mass of the extra thickness in the center would help dampen chatter at the rim. Thanks for the tip!

How do you reverse these monsters to turn the foot? Vacuum chuck?

Website
www.cobwebcrafts.co.uk
platter technique

I use a slightly different technique which may be of interest, also.

When the blank is mounted I first clean up the chuck-side face of the blank by bringing the rest around the back of the blank. Depending on the wood I may use the parting tool to cut in as far down as the chuck and then clean up the cut with a shearing cut from a long-ground bowl gouge. And then abrade down to your usual grit.

After this I return to the conventional position and form the base aspect of the platter. The two things I find are helped greatly by this process are:

1) It provides a very clean upper rim surface to which detail can be added once the platter is reversed. This means that only the lightest of cuts need to be made which reduces wobble/vibration/tear-out.

2) Because the upper rim surface is already defined I find that I can cut much cleaner, appropriate, shapes for the underside aspect of the platter.

Once the base is complete reverse it onto the chuck and turn any detail you want into the already finished rim portion.

I find this works very well for me, and have used it on platters up to 28" in diameter.

Andy

Website
www.woodturner.org
I agree with the comments above. Also, after one side already has finish cuts made, then make final cuts on the other side ~1" at a time. To be clear, one would final turn the outermost 1" and have all your final cuts on that 1". Then do final cuts on the next 1" diameter without going back to the outermost 1". Then continue 1" at a time toward the center.

The outer area will be supported during each phase by the next inner portion of the platter (or bowl). This helps reduce tearout. Also it helps avoid chatter.

If this process is not followed, and you go back to re-cut the outermost area you will probably get chatter. This is due to both warpage and the fact that thin pieces are also more flexible.

Back