1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Truly Unique Lathe Built by Turning Legend Soren Berger

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archives' started by Jeff Farris, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, OH
    Soren Berger hand built lathe. Bed, headstock and headstock legs are fashioned from Alden (Australian GM) engine blocks. Milled steel plate bed ways are bolted to the engine blocks. Tailstock leg is a crankshaft. Most levers and a handy tool rack are fashioned from camshafts and piston rods. Drive is a 3-hp motor with variable frequency drive (220VAC Input). Tailstock rotates out of the way without removal...a common feature now, but first shown to the market on this machine. Swing over bed is 15" (30" capacity) with 24 inches between centers. Soren has been turning on one of these lathes for decades. I commissioned him to build 4 of these for me in 2000. I sold three of them at the 2001 AAW national symposium in Minneapolis. Never planned on selling this one, but now I am downsizing and I'll never get this in my new home. Available for local pick only in Cleveland, Ohio, area. Palletized and we have equipment to help load. Weighs about 900 pounds and purrs like a kitten. One of the most stable turning platforms you will ever encounter.

Edited 5/4 -- Fixed capacity. It is 30 inch diameter, 24 between centers. Originally written backwards.

IMG_20180426_152550051 - Edited.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

Location (City & State):
    Sterling, CT
    You never said what the price is.

3. Todd Halleman

Todd Halleman

Location (City & State):
    Newberg, Oregon
    That thing looks so cool!

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  4. Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, OH
    Duh...Sorry, Paul.

$5,000.00

5. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Jeff, there are many woodturners who view the Marketplace Ads on this site, but aren't forum members. In order for any of those people to be able to contact you they need either an email address or a phone number.

6. Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, OH
    Thanks for the tip, Bill

E-mail me at jeffinsgf "at" gmail "dot" com.

7. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    What a great idea!! I posted the picture to the Argentina and South America facebook group, they could build something like this down there....

8. John Turpin

John Turpin

Location (City & State):
    Edmond, OK
    Home Page:
  9. Zach LaPerriere

Zach LaPerriere

Location (City & State):
    Sitka, Alaska, United States
    Home Page:
    What a wonderful fun machine. I'm tempted! Love the three legged design. I recently visited a friend with an 8' joiner, 18" knives. It weighs several tons, and I noticed that it too only has three legs. No leveling issues there!

10. Dean Center

Dean Center

Location (City & State):
    Bozeman, MT
    Seems like he could have gotten more horsepower out of a 4 cylinder headstock. :D

11. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    I talked to Jeff at the SWAT symposium this afternoon and he said it was still for sale so I thought that I would give it a bump.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.