• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tru-Grind

Chris, thanks for the tip on the Woodcut Tru-Grind sharpening system. I received mine today, watched the DVD a couple of times, set up the jig as per the DVD & instructions and watched the DVD a couple of more times to make sure I didn't miss something. That sucker works "slicker than glycerin on a glass doorknob." At $109.99 + shipping it's a bargin; it'll certainly save tools.

Thanks again, Chris; I don't care what Jeff says about you, you're alright, mate.

:D ;)

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
glad you liked it...

Hey Bud, sorry I missed the posting until now. I'm glad you like the jig. I've had mine for over a year now and the only other thing I got to go with it was the ellsworth jig. I can almost duplicate the DE grind on my normal bowl gouges, but on his private label version, there is a twist to it that requires his jig to get perfect (at least in my hands).

Isn't it nice when the cheaper tool is also the most versatile one? :D

Just a quick question...I wonder if the Tru grind can do radiused skews? From what I've been able to determine, the Oneway cannot. May be wrong on that...if so let me know! :)

DWFII

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
Radiused Skews with Oneway

DFWII,

The Wolverine system has an attachment for skews. If you hold the tool steady on the wheel, it grinds a straight edge; move it from side to side, you get a curved edge.

Randy

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
Tru-grind & radiused skews

DWFII,

yep, the tru-grind will do radiused skews. In fact, I used it to turn my straight skews into radiused ones and it does it without additional attachments.

The nicest thing about the Tru-grind is that it can hold any tool, round or flat and with a head that articulates 270 degrees and a sliding base, you can get just about every angle and grind you want. The jig's 2 legs also separate (they are normally used bolted together to get 1 pivot point) so they can be placed in both positioning cups (there's a close and a far one on the base) into each of the cups and get a straight side to side only action.

I sure sound like a commercial, but I can't help tout a tool that works so well for a low price.

You said it, Chris.

The DVD will show you how to do most grinds. By and large I use only 3 grinds: the Irish grind (invented by a fellow in Scotland), a radiused skew grind, and a plain, old, roughing grind. This jig does all 3. Chris sold me on this jig. By the way, it has a guarantee, which I haven't read yet because I'm keepin' mine.

afterthought

It also does mini-tools--1/8" spindle gouge, et al.

Chris Wright said:
DWFII,

yep, the tru-grind will do radiused skews. In fact, I used it to turn my straight skews into radiused ones and it does it without additional attachments.

Is the setup for radiused skews any different than for non-radiused ones? The video only shows a straight edged skew. How is it done?

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
nope

With the skews, the setting is the same (at least when I did it). You normally would mount the skew and then move it back and forth on a straight horizontal axis. However, if you give the handle a slight arcing motion while doing this, it will create the radius. There may be a better way to do it, but this was the fastest and easiest when I tried.

Back