1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Trex

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by John Tisdale, Jul 27, 2020.

1. John Tisdale

John Tisdale

Next time you're making a fixture for a live center, Kelton mandrel, or making a jam-chuck, you might consider Trex - it's made from recycled plastic grocery bags and wood fiber. While being very high density, it's non-marring and easy to turn. You can call any dealer and probably be able to rummage around in their scrap for the mere price of a weed-pot.
    We've all seen it and walked on it - it's now the high-end standard for decks and board-walks.

2. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I would not be surprised to see some segmented work done with Trex. I have some boards left over, we redid our deck, with so much rain here in Hawaii, I'm hoping the Trex boards will last a long time. There was a short-lived program here, people were donating recycling items to a company that got help from the county. They were building outdoor furniture, the county bought a lot of it for our parks, benches tables, etc. I thought it was a good idea...

3. Bob Sheppard

Bob Sheppard

Some lumber yards have free samples of composite decking. The one I go to does.

4. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

It also threads well for making vacuum chucks. Samples is the way to go if you have not built a deck recently.

5. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Wow. The amount of trex short pieces I’ve taken to the dump from building decks. Now I’m going to have to start saving them for vacuum chucks, etc, etc. Need to build another shed!

6. Dave Hulett

Dave Hulett

I got turned on to composite decking after buying Frugal Vacumm Chuck years ago. He used composite decking for his chucks. I had some leftover desking and have used it for several jamb and vacumm chucks. it works great!