• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trays - flat bottoms

Hi everyone. I've just started to try and turn some flat bottom trays/bowls. I swear that I saw an article in the American Woodturner about turning flat bottom platters or trays, but I can't seem to find it. Am I imagining things, does anyone know if one was published. I tried searching but noting came up. Anyways I'm looking for some hits/suggestions/tricks. I've included a picture of a small one I just did.

IMG_5935.JPG

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A perfectly flat bottom might be practically impossible because the seasonal changes in humidity will cause the wood to change shape slightly. If I am making a platter I go for a very slight barely noticeable dish shape. This way you can eliminate the ripples-in-the-pond effect of a flat bottom. Personally I wouldn't use vertical sides for two reasons:
  • There's a greater chance over time that seasonal movement will cause the side to develop a crack
  • The vertical sidewall interferes with tool usage to work on the bottom whether you want a flat or curved bottom
I don't remember an article on this subject, but then I don't remember a lot of stuff since becoming a geezer.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The simplest way would be to use a paper joint with a glue block. If you already have a flat bottom piece of wood just glue the glue block to the bottom with a piece of paper in between. When your finished turning just push a knife through the joint and pop it off. The paper and glue can be cleaned off with White vinegar or you can scraper and sand it off.
to turn a flat bottom you could turn the plate and then reverse turn the bottom using a jam chuck or best of all a vacuum chuck.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
If you use a vacuum chuck to reverse, use minimum vacuum. Otherwise, spring-back after vacuum is released may lead to a rocking bowl.

Thanks for the replies so far, just to clarify, when I say flat bottom I referring to the inside, not to the bottom that is sitting on the table, for that I know it needs to be dished out slightly.

Dennis thanks for the comment on min vacuum pressure. I just had that happen on a one that I had turned a bit thinner then planned. Easily fixed with some sand paper laid down on my table saw.

Back