• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

tool rest extension for outboard turning, Jet 1640EVS

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't find one, it would be an easy build for a weld shop or machine shop. Hardest part is drilling holes for the tool rest post, if you have a decent drill press you could
easily fabricate this as a home project.

I bought two 18" extensions for a Powermatic 3520A with posts. Not able to measure the tool post extension till next week but I spec they are too long. If it looks like it could be modifiable, and you want to try, I'll send you one for shipping...
cc

I bought two 18" extensions for a Powermatic 3520A with posts. Not able to measure the tool post extension till next week but I spec they are too long. If it looks like it could be modifiable, and you want to try, I'll send you one for shipping...
cc
That’s really cool, but let’s measure first. Thank you, Claudio

Claudio, obviously not machinist measurements, but close enough. Overall length 11 inches, post is 2 inches, main body is 9", socket is 4.5" deep, major diameter is 2". The post and socket are sized for 1" tool rests and banjoes.

Tool rest ext.jpeg

It mounts vertically on the banjo when the extension is in the lower position, bringing the tool rest back to spindle height... If, we are talking about the same thing...

Attachments

• Extension.png
    Extension.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 27
Thank you, as I understand it, the part that I am hunting is a horizontal part that effectively extends the reach of the toolrest for off bed turning. I really appreciate your offer, but, don’t think that is what I am searching for. I am getting old....but still searching!

Claudio, This tool rest extension came with my Jet 1640evs. I think this is what you are looking for. I'm not sure if Jet sells this item as an accessory but you should check their website or give their customer service a call.

tool rest extension.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Claudio, This tool rest extension came with my Jet 1640evs. I think this is what you are looking for. I'm not sure if Jet sells this item as an accessory but you should check their website or give their customer service a call.

View attachment 36118

It is an optional accessory, but some dealers might include it as part of a package deal.

View attachment 36118

Does an extension like this put a lot of torque on the banjo? Just thinking a person using an extension like this needs to have a heavy duty banjo, or a post going down to the floor to relieve the stress.

Karl,

I have used two outboard extensions coupled together to turn some large pieces on a cheap import lathe that had a rotating headstock. Most of the pieces I was cutting had a dimensional lumber finish which allowed a somewhat smooth cut using the two outboard extensions coupled together. You would not want to rough cut wood blanks, as a good catch would certainly torque the tool rest and extensions downward, on several occasions I did use a steel rod supported from the floor to the bottom of the outboard extension to stiffen it up and prevent the potential sagging or torque effect on the tool rest. The cheap banjo never had a problem with the extensions a good solid catch would have possibly caused some sort of damage but knowing the limits of the equipment usually determines how much force you impart on it to avoid those of types incidents.

Does an extension like this put a lot of torque on the banjo? Just thinking a person using an extension like this needs to have a heavy duty banjo, or a post going down to the floor to relieve the stress.
The few times that I have used this extension I did not experience any unusual vibrations or torque related issues. Although I have only used it for hollowing out 8" to 10" bowls with the headstock rotated about 40 degrees. The extension is 8" from the center of the post that inserts into the banjo and the center of the hole for the tool rest. The use of this extension seems more applicable for use when rotating the head stock about 45 degrees versus using it to accommodate larger turnings at the end of the lathe. Using the optional bed extension and riser for the banjo at the end of the lathe for larger turnings would be a better option.

interesting discussion. Would a free standing tool rest be a better option?
Claudio, if the reason you are looking for an extension is to turn larger pieces at the end of the lathe then you should consider the lathe bed extension for your Jet which also includes a riser for the tool rest in your banjo. You can probably find them on sale with all of the Christmas sales going on.

interesting discussion. Would a free standing tool rest be a better option?

Might help to mention exactly what you are wanting to turn like type of turning and size.

As for me, I got lucky finding a used Vicmarc outboard tool rest recently which is very heavy duty. It has a large post that goes down to the floor with a separate tool rest so my banjo isn’t needed. This is very expensive item new so I am not suggesting it for your Jet lathe. My main concern is finding people who want to buy really large turnings because of the room that it takes up in their house. My current plan is to make some wall hanging plaques or large clocks that I won’t mind keeping if I can’t find a buyer.

Hope you find what you’re after.

-Karl

Might help to mention exactly what you are wanting to turn like type of turning and size.

As for me, I got lucky finding a used Vicmarc outboard tool rest recently which is very heavy duty. It has a large post that goes down to the floor with a separate tool rest so my banjo isn’t needed. This is very expensive item new so I am not suggesting it for your Jet lathe. My main concern is finding people who want to buy really large turnings because of the room that it takes up in their house. My current plan is to make some wall hanging plaques or large clocks that I won’t mind keeping if I can’t find a buyer.

Hope you find what you’re after.

-Karl
I like to turn bowls. Want to turn some 18-20” pieces at some point....but, not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back