• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool Handle Video, with tip on drilling

Tip on drilling tool handle

Here is a technique for drilling a hole in a tool handle. Bring the tool rest up against the blank to keep it from spinning while drilling. Much easier than holding it with my hand like I used to do. The blank does have to be square for this to work, though.
Cindy

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you aren't selling something in the video then there should not be a problem. I have made some tool handles in the past where the tool shank didn't perfectly line up with the handle which bothered me some although the tools turned out to be functionally OK. Last week I made a handle for a new Thompson detail gouge and decided to hold the back end of the handle in a chuck with deep jaws and a drill with a Morse taper shank in the tailstock. I was very pleased that the results were dead on as far as my eyeballs can tell. Of course, my handle is a one time deal since I epoxied the tool in the handle. One important lesson learned -- cut a relief channel to allow air and excess epoxy to vent out of the snug fitting hole. Just don't ask how I gained this bit of wisdom. Now I will search for your video to see how to make an interchangeable handle.

Back