1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Tool Grinder mounted On Lathe?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tom De Winter, May 1, 2020.

1. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    0697A03D-0B3E-4A4D-AA7C-30FCB1278CE3.jpeg I’m running out of room in my shop for the Rikon grinder and Pro Grind sharpening system that arrives Monday. To keep it handy when turning I’m thinking of mounting the grinder on a hinged swing-up shelf attached to one end or the back of the lathe base.

Is this a crazy idea?

2. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Welcome to the forum. Yes you can do that but I would not suggest it. You want your grinder convenient and having to pull a shelf up is not. You could add a shelf at the end of your stand and that will work so it is ready when you need it.

3. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Focus on your requirement to keep it handy.
    Being close and unusable without a setup - does not fit my definition of handy.

Like @Gerald Lawrence - ideally the grinder should be a step away away.

Bill Boehme, odie and Gerald Lawrence like this.
  4. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    I agree with Al and Gerald, Tom. My grinder is two steps away from my lathe behind me on a work table. Welcome to the forum Tom, you will get a lot of help from many experienced turners on this forum that have many years of experience. Happy turning!

odie likes this.
  5. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    I would think that you would find it in the way more often than not. You may want to have a rolling cart to have your tools on as you turn. Pretty easy to set the grinder up on the cart and have shelves of tools underneath. I have a couple of the wire frame shelf systems on wheels that I use all over my shop. My new shop has plenty of room though.

robo hippy

6. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    My grinder sits on a shelf under the lathe. My wife found some heavy coated material and made a nice cover for it. My TS is on wheels- move it and put the grinder on it, plug it in and turn and grind away!

7. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    After hearing from y’all I’d pretty much decided not to mount on the lathe.
    Then the grinder arrived. I’d underestimated the weight and that cinched it. I’ll build a rolling cabinet for it.
    Thanks for all of your thoughts.
    Tom

8. Robert D Evans

Robert D Evans

Location (City & State):
    Hoschton, GA
    I put my grinder on a pedestal stand. It doesn't take up much floor space, which is important to me since space is at a premium. It's close to the lathe and can be moved if necessary. I bought mine at a local flea market but new ones are less than $100.

9. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    E5D48F54-3383-4E3A-8708-811963F3C2E0.jpeg Well, the more I looked at building a rolling cabinet with drawers on full extension slides, considered the material cost and time commitment the less I liked the idea.

Then I saw this tool chest side cabinet at Harbor Freight (I know, Tools for Fools). However the build and material quality of this cabinet is top notch. I added casters from a H.F. moving dolly and wah-la, I had my base. Functional, quick and purdy too.

I mounted the grinder on maple plywood raising it up to clear the Pro-Grind sharpening system.

Some of you know I had trouble getting the wheels to run true on the new Rikon grinder. I’m generally good at working through those types of problems. But even using all y’alls suggestions and after three days I’d had enough and ordered CBN wheels from WoodTurners Wonders.

My goal of getting off cheap was out the window. Probably twice into the grinding station then my lathe cost. But what a joy to use.

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  10. Dean Center

Dean Center

Location (City & State):
    Bozeman, MT
    Tom, you may find the grinder to be too far back from the edge of the cabinet. I can't recall the specifics any longer, but I remember running into problems with handles hitting the edge or something like that and having to move mine forward. It could have been free-hand sharpening gouges, back in the day, which wouldn't affect you.

11. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    So far, so good Dean. I’ve sharpened a roughing and bowl gouge and a skew.
    Shouldn’t be too bad if I need to bring it forward. The base is just resting on top of the cabinet.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  12. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    Nothing wrong with those HF tool chests. They're a great value.
    20200114_092607.jpg

13. Dave Landers

Dave Landers

Location (City & State):
    Estes Park, CO
    Home Page:
    That'll make it so much easier to justify the cost of your next lathe, when that time comes. :)

Tom De Winter likes this.
  14. Craig Pierson

Craig Pierson

Location (City & State):
    Mission Viejo, CA
    HF tool boxes on back order. It will be a week or two before my HF Yukon comes in. I can't wait to get it all set up!

15. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    Well Dave, Yes it did. My new Jet JWL-1640EVS ships tomorrow.

Dave Landers likes this.
  16. Tom De Winter

Tom De Winter

Location (City & State):
    Quad Cities, IL
    I'm so glad you guys talked me out of mounting my grinder on the lathe. Now that I've used it on the mobile base I'm realizing what a cocklemaney idea that was.