• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

To Fill or Not to Fill

I have a close neighbor getting married and I wanted to make a Two-Ring Wedding Goblet as a gift.
As a new turner I didn't know if I could acquire the skills quickly enough to do a worthy gift.

I decided to make a test piece to help decide sizes and proportions as well as build skills. I grabbed a piece of walnut that I had knowing it had a few insect holes. But hey, it was only a practice piece. Now that I have it close to finish it's nice enough to not be firewood.

There's a few pin-holes in the goblet portion and a nasty one at the base that transverses to the other side. The picture shows this one.

Should I try to fill with something (what?). Or should I leave them as just the nature of this piece of wood?
I intend to finish with Poly.

I drilled holes about the same size in the waste area and tried wet sanding with Poly for the liquid. This seemed to fill the holes but leave a dark brown dot that to me looks worse.

Opinions appreciated.
TomWorm Hole.JPG

I'll give that a try in the scrap area.
BTW, I'll be driving through your area in a week on the way to visit my son and delivery my old lathe to him.

Looks great! On salad bowls that we intend to use, I’ve filled small holes like this with epoxy mixed with sanding dust from the same piece. I’d fill from both sides. Almost invisible, and keeps oil and vinegar from leaking through.

Website
www.youtube.com
The piece looks nice! As Gary remarked, I usually fill small holes with epoxy (or CA glue). The results do not detract from the work, nor the beauty of the wood grain. On larger voids I have been using epoxy mixed with finely ground coffee grains to underline the natural defect aspect. Some go farther and underline the defect with a contrasting color (like turquoise mica powder mixed into the epoxy). After all imperfections are part of the interest of wood. In some cultures repaired vessels have more value than unblemished pieces.

Back