1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Three cpap machines

Discussion in 'Woodturning Health & Safety' started by Perry Hilbert, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    My step son's father died. In his fathers belongings there were three c-pap machines. They all pump air pretty well. . They have replaceable filters at the intakes. Would these work as respirators and what kind of mask can I get to hook up to them. A co worker of my wife has the machine to sterilize them, (A respiratory therapist) I have my own c-pap machine and I suppose I could use the spare mask that came with it. I can still wear safety glasses but it doesn't really shield the face.

2. John Walls

John Walls

Location (City & State):
    Larimore, ND
    I have one in the house, one in the camper and a spare so 3 myself not including the wife's machine. All 4 of ours run on 120v so I'm guessing you would need a long cord to stay plugged in. I have had the mask that covers the nose and mouth, I suppose that would work but you would go through filters pretty quick. I'm thinking it would trash the CPAP fairly fast in a very dusty environment. It would tether you down pretty close to the machine unless you found a way to carry it on your person, then your still tethered to the power cord. They do make portable battery packs for them but I have not used one, I don't think they are inexpensive though. You'd need to wear a separate face shield over your face to protect your eyes/nose, etc. I can't think of any way it would be beneficial to set something up to use one. IMHO

3. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    Thanks. actually, I can easily sit the machine in the next room where it isn't dusty and run the hose/pipe through the wall and across the ceiling to hang down at the lathe. . I'll have to think about it some more.

4. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    Have you done a forum search for cpap? I know there have been posts in the past where folks had pressed these into PAPR service.

5. Michael Nathal

Michael Nathal

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, Ohio
    Ken Rizza authored a how-to make a CPAP work as a respirator in American Woodturner, I believe about 5-6 years ago. You can find it using the Explore function.

hockenbery likes this.
  6. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    thank you very much sir

7. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Well, I have a couple of them that I don't use any more. I switched to a 'mandibular advancement device' which is the mouth guard thing, and I like it a lot better. The CPAP machines would have sufficient air flow to keep a positive pressure face mask set up going. My guess is that the filter on the CPAP would not be up to standards for dust control. I would expect that you would have to fabricate a filter of some sort, maybe even stacking a couple of the ones for the PP dust masks together. This could vary a lot depending on the amount of pressure your machine is set up for. I think it would be a pain to fabricate a mask for your face that would work any where near what the ones that are designed for it do. I did consider that, and the problem is the neoprene fitting that goes around your beard and chin.... I do have one friend that got a mask set up that they use in operating rooms, which is kind of a total head and shoulder covering, and it seems to work well. Not sure what else is out there that could be used. I doubt that there would be any necessity of sterilizing the hose if you are using it in the wood shop, unless you are trying to moisturize the air as it comes through, which shouldn't be necessary since the PP dust masks flow over and around your face and you don't inhale it directly.

robo hippy

8. Dennis Weiner

Dennis Weiner

Location (City & State):
    New City, NY
    I use mine with my Vesaflo 300. The Cpap hose fits right into the helmet and when I turn up Cpap to max, it provides more than enough airflow with a 20 feet extension. I use it as an external fresh air supply system. The unit is installed in a dust proof enclosure and has a feed to the outside. No filter needed, unless you wish to filter the outside air from spiders and other friendly s.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  9. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    I have this thing about spiders. I get bit every few years and end up in the ER. Affected arm or leg swells up, I feel like crap for days. They are welcome to all die.

10. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    I'm so happy to live somewhere where the worst thing is wasps and bees. I hate poisonous insects.