• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threading Wood

When you cut threads in wood do you lubricate??

When I thread metal I always use a cutting oil or at least WD40 but I always cut wood dry.... So today as I was cutting threads I started wondering if I should lubricate it. I tried putting Mineral Oil on just before my last cut.

The results were nice clean threads and less chipping.

What do you do???

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When hand chasing I use wax that I brush on with a tooth brush. I only do that on woods that are being difficult. One turner who's name escapes me this morning used Dawn dish washing liquid. I tried that and for me it didn't seem to make a difference.
Hardening the wood seems to make the most difference. I don't usually do this for hand chased threads I just try to find good wood for that but for threading with a threading machine I put thin CA on after I've cut the threads part way. Again this is only needed for woods that probably really shouldn't have threads but I cut it in them anyway.
Many of the woods that are good for threading are kind of self lubricating since they have a lot of oil in them.

Thread Lub..

Well, this morning I had 2 sets of threads to cut. So I have tried Mineral Oil and Johnson's Paste Wax.

The Winner so far is Johnson's Paste Wax. Not only does it make a nice cut, the thread comes out polished and shinny when you are done.

Walnut Oil was also suggested but I don't have any, so I will try Tung on the next one.

All of the threads I have been cutting are on a Threading Jig.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Using a threading machine you are using a metal cutting cutter. I did a test a year ago and the difference between 2500 rpm on lathe or 23000 rpm using a router to hold the cutter makes almost no difference in the thread quality except it will burn some wood easily if you hesitate during the cut.
For hand thread chasing 500 rpm or slower is good. Slower when your new but too slow and it's too easy to get a double start thread. 250 to 300 when your learning, 500 is good when your experienced.

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
I recently have begun using corian for the threading. Thought is, if you mess up the wood, there is no place to go. with corian. just thread the male and female parts and install them in the turning. I thread at about 400 rpm according to Mike mahoney, and yes I use Johnson"s paste wax.Hope this helps, Max:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yea Max I use Corian, PVC pipe, and other exotic hardwoods to make threaded parts. You can glue these into you less exotic woods that won't take threads well. I believe Mike Mahoney uses Blackwood for his Urns.
I have also cut grooves in the soft woods and filled the grooves with colored epoxy. Then cut away the wood and chase or machine cut threads in the epoxy. It makes a nice looking thread. If you leave the epoxy clear it picks up the color of the wood.

Back