• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threaded Brass Inserts for cremation urn lids

I know that I have seen cremation urn lid inserts multiple times, but I don't know how to ask the search function the correct question to find them. I am making a cremation urn and want to use brass threaded inserts. I do not want to use PVC plumbing fittings on this urn.

Would one of you please send me a link for a vendor for these.

My question is, how well do rigid metal inserts work in wood that moves with changes in moisture content?

Anybody have long term experience with the rings?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You really have very little movement with that size, and yes I use a flexible adhesive for my mirrors but no bigger than those inserts are I would think you could get buy with epoxy. You can find wood movement charts online. I looked them up one day so I could see how much wood moves for my mirrors which are 4". Most woods won't move 1/8" over a 12" distance for a year of fairly large moisture swings. Even 1/8" is fairly large for a lot of woods. so shrink that down to 2 or 3" and you can see that it doesn't move very much.

It's really smart to double turn the opening of an end grain cremation urn. Even if the wood is nearly dry, you can relieve some stresses by removing all that internal wood. I use black ABS fittings from Menards, even on my urn that's sitting on the shelf. I just don't expect people to remove the lid very often to look at ashes. Also the plumbing fittings have tapered threads and if you only use 1/4" of the threads, it's loose enough for a little wood movement and still have a good action.

Back