1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Those Long Curls of Wood.

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Mark Jundanian, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    For some reason the forum software will not let me post a message whose title contains the word shav ings. I am even concerned about using the word properly spelled in the message text.

The above posted without problem so now I will edit and add the message I've been trying to post for two days. Hope it was worth the effort :).

I'm looking for a better method to clean up shavings from around the lathe, and I'm talking about bulky piles of long shavings, not sawdust or sawdust mixed with some shavings.

I have tried using a flex hose from the 3HP DC. The DC has cross bars at the inlets where the hoses connect and these snag long shavings, quickly clogging up. I could cut these cross bars off of one of the inlets.

Presently, I mostly use a shop vacuum. For sawdust or mixed debris that's probably best, but bulky shavings fill the filter bag quicker than I'd like, and the bag is a bit of a pain and expense to change. I could add a Dust Deputy, the 5 gallon capacity would require frequent emptying, but would be easier and cheaper, but I worry that the cone's exit is relatively narrow and would be prone to clogging.

Sometimes I resort to the stoop and scoop method. I'm not a fan of the stoop part and the scoop part kicks up dust. For that matter emptying a 5 gallon Dust Deputy would kick up dust too.

2. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    I just use a plastic kids snow shovel and heavy duty plastic garbage bags sweep the shavings into a pile and scoop. No stopping required. I dump the shavings and reuse the bags. Some of the bags are probably on their 30th or so reuse.
    Vacuuming didn't work or me and I don't have a good dust collector to even try cleaning up with it.
    I leave my dust collector going and wear a respirator. If it's nice out I leave the door to the shop open.

Ron Solfest and Perry Hilbert like this.
  3. Michael Nathal

Michael Nathal

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, Ohio
    A child's snow shovel acts as a great dust pan (scoop): it is both light weight and the long handle minimizes stooping. I use it to fill those large paper yard waste bags rather than filling up my dust collector bin. I probably fill up a dozen yard bags before I need to empty my dust collector bin. I always wear breathing protection when sweeping.

Charles Cadenhead likes this.
  4. Michael Nathal

Michael Nathal

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, Ohio
    Russell, you beat me to it :)

5. Charles Cadenhead

Charles Cadenhead

Location (City & State):
    Tallahassee, FL
    I do it the ol' fashion way, a long handle broom and a dust pan. Since my shop is in the garage near the bay door I just blow the remaining dust out the door.

6. Rob Fridenberg

Rob Fridenberg

Location (City & State):
    Novi, Michigan
    Shoveling/Sweeping circulates a lot of dust into the air!!

I have a 2hp Oneida Super Dust Gorilla (35 gallon drum) and I have a length of flex hose with a Rockler quick connect handle that I use for the piles. Works great. I then attach a Rockler nozzle with a brush to go over the lathe, etc. for the final clean-up. I have done this for 3 bowls now and multiple spindles and none of the shavings end up in the filter clean-out - all in the drum.

7. Tom Gall

Tom Gall

Location (City & State):
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yup! Clean up at the source with a broom, large aluminum dust pan (like a snow shovel) and a couple of garbage cans. Small stuff clean up with a shop vac (if I want to get fancy). I let the DC collect airborne dust.

Ron Solfest likes this.
  8. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    We use a push broom and a big snow shovel
    Have big dust pan too for small jobs.
    Have a Smart Cart (big tub with bicycle wheels)

Charles Cadenhead likes this.
  9. Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Jackson, NJ
    I use one of those cheap orange plastic snow shovels. After a turning session coring and roughing out i end up with enough of a pile to fill a 50 gallon garbage can twice. Could not imagine sending that much through my cyclone. I do open all my dc ports around my lathe with it cranking at full power with a respirator on.

Tim Tucker and Ron Solfest like this.
  10. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    I use these https://www.rockler.com/large-alumi...LFlqQqToy-hoXIEg3fjMEc-VPag2Of1UaAiLBEALw_wcB

A snow shovel would save bending over, I'll have to think about that. The dust pan stores in less space. There are 4-5 around the shop, so I can usually find one. Unless you have a heroic system wtth 10"+ piping the long curly shavings are great for creating the kind of blockage in a DC system that requires serious dismantling of the pipe. DAMHIK.

11. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    I use the bigger metal short handled scoop shovels, and the 55 gallon contractor grade black plastic bags. The scoop shovel fits easily into the big plastic bags. I prefer to let the shavings dry for a day or two before scooping up, so some times I am up to my knees in shavings if it is winter rain season. This can make a weight difference of 50 to 75%. In the summer, I will push them out the door to dry in the sun, and it takes just a day for that. I do use the DC to vacuum up the small chips. If the shavings are dry, I do wear a mask unless I am outside and it is windy. There is a lot of fine dust in the shavings when dry... I did try big heavy duty trash bins, and the shavings would tend to get packed in and then when I tried to empty them, they didn't want to come out. Never had that problem with the plastic bags. If you get the contractor heavy duty bags, they can be used many times before they have too many holes in them. Extended exposure to sun light will make them start to fall apart... I have found a bow rake handy for getting shavings out from behind the lathe if they are stacked up deep...

"You know it is time to clean up the shop when you have to get down on your knees to turn." from Roger Michaelson, a turning friend who passed away some years back...

robo hippy

12. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    I have merged the replies from the previously unreadable threads on this topic into this thread and now the posts are readable without the word Shavings in the title.

13. Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Jackson, NJ
    The better question is what do you do with all of them. This year i have been mulching all my landscaping but starting to run out of room.

14. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    John, do you have a cyclone separator on your DC?

15. Rob Fridenberg

Rob Fridenberg

Location (City & State):
    Novi, Michigan
    Good point about the blockage risk. I should clarify that my DC (cyclone style) piping run is only 17ft long and a straight shot to my tools, no bends, with the lathe being at the end of the run (7" straight pipe out of the DC for 5' and 6" pipe for the remainder). My piping is the clamp together style, so easy to drop out a section if it gets plugged.

I'm also just a hobby turner, not generating the volume that most of the folks on here do so I can see where the shoveling is the only alternative for many.

16. Larry Copas

Larry Copas

Location (City & State):
    Springdale, Arkansas
    Home Page:
    I sorta kick and shuffle the curls into a floor sweep and this is where they come out.
    DSCF7202.JPG

Its a little bit amazing, the chips going in are long curls but by the time they go through the fan they break up into little chips which only take up about 10% of the space.

My only mistake was using 4" pipe into the floor sweep. Sometimes long curls will clog the inlet but its easy to clear. If I had used 6" pipe I don't think there would have been a problem.

17. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    There are natural differences in all of our circumstances. Like Rob, I am not producing piles of long shavings every day, or even every week. This does not mean that I won't whine about these piles when I do make them or that I won't look for an easy way out that doesn't involve shovels and dust pans. Points about letting wet shavings dry and about clogged DC pipes are well taken. I use transparent flex hose so it would be easy to see the block, but maybe difficult to get to. Based on present experience the clog point is the cross bars at the DC inlet, so the idea of cutting those off is still percolating in my brain. I'm not seeing a downside, but wondering why they are there in the first place? It sounds like a Dust Deputy will be quickly overwhelmed.

18. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
  19. Charles Cadenhead

Charles Cadenhead

Location (City & State):
    Tallahassee, FL
    My shavings go into a compost bin....

20. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson

Location (City & State):
    Eads, TN
    Home Page:
    I've found a broom and a snow shovel or wide flat regular shovel the only way to really deal with them. Scoop up, pitch into a wheelbarrow or big trash bag. Get most and vacuum the rest with at least a 4" hose. Smaller and it will constantly clog. Trying to vacuum that knee high pile of curly shavings is a pain and whatever it's going into will fill up and need emptying constantly. I took the grating off of the 4" input onto my dust collector since it will clog in just a few minutes. I have a 30 gallon trash can top separator so very few get to the motor impeller and if they do it's steel and doesn't seem to matter.

21. Roger Holzmacher

Roger Holzmacher

Location (City & State):
    Babylon, NY
    Shovel up the big stuff. Vacuum the rest. Or when my yellow lab is with me he tries to eat most of it. He must think it's some type of pasta.

22. Tom Beatty

Tom Beatty

Location (City & State):
    Kennedale Texas
    I bought a large dust pan at home depot that has a long handle so I do not have to bend over. They are nice since they stand uprght. Have several since they are great for leaves, cleaning up after 2 big dogs, etc.

23. Tim Connell

Tim Connell

Location (City & State):
    Cameron, Illinois
    I use a pitch fork and leaf blower twice a year. Makes great cushioning for the feet. But then my shop is also in a machine shed with a dirt floor. If I start getting too tall, I'll fork stuff out of the way into a big pile and let it sit until I get time/energy to haul it into the woods with a wheel barrel.

I say all of this tongue in cheek, as I know my situation is vastly different from most of you, but for shoveling out large piles of wet shavings, a pitch fork works wonders for the bulk of the mess.

24. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    when my house was built, there was a gully running across the corner of the yard, about 4 ft deep. All the rocks picked out of the yard, Yard waste, wool clipped from the sheep, and wood shavings go in that gully. It is now only a few feet across and about a foot deep, instead of ten feet across and 4 ft deep.

25. Rob Fridenberg

Rob Fridenberg

Location (City & State):
    Novi, Michigan
    No cross bars on the Oneida - the impeller is in a separate chamber above the inlet port so it can't get a direct hit from anything in the input stream. I'd cut them out if you have a similar design.

My Laguna 18BX has those cross bars in the dust ports - I plan on removing them.

26. John Walls

John Walls

Location (City & State):
    Larimore, ND
    Not yet, it's on the list of tools to pick up soon. Probably be a big help in clean-up.

27. Hugh

Hugh

Short Aluminum snow shovel and a garbage can. Does not get plugged up......but does fill up.
    Makes great mulch. Pile it up in the yard and let it sit for awhile.

28. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

I use a Delta 1.5 hp DC with 1200cfm, and have a 31 gallon metal trash can with a WoodCraft cyclone separator lid on top. I have a 4" Dust Rite flex blue [slinky type] hose and a Dust Rite 4" vacuum connector with handle on it from Rockler with a 48" long 4" diameter wand. I also have the Dust Rite connectors for all my machines so I can move that hose from machine to machine as needed. It works very well, and in my tiny shop with all my equipment, it is the only way I can suck up shavings in and around/behind heavy machinery. The DC has two ports, and I have one line hooked up to a 4" pvc pipe all the way to the other end of my 14x20 shop, and have one branch line from a "T" fitting off that for dust collection at my other large lathe. When that is not needed, I close the blast gates for maximum suction to my cyclone trash can line which is on the other port to the Delta dust collector.

I have no problems sucking up shavings anywhere in my shop using this setup. Even for my router table at the far end, or dust at the other lathe when sanding; provided I have the line not in use blocked off at the blast gate. My larger shavings collect into the trash can, which I empty when full, and only the dust gets pulled into the clear plastic bag on the bottom of the dust collector.

29. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    I have a giant dust pan and put it in a half 55 gallon barrel with wheels I made for it.

30. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    Push broom, big snow shovel, SmartCart(big tub on a frame with 2 bicycle wheels)
    Big dustpan for smaller jobs

31. John Hicks

John Hicks

Location (City & State):
    Hoodsport, Washington
    Clean up isn't so much a problem, but getting rid of the shavings is!

32. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    I did have a big ball of shavings plug up my impellor once. It didn't go down into the cyclone and my air flow went to about 10% of normal. Took a while to figure out why it wasn't working... This was with a 3 hp Oneida system.

I have had neighbors who wanted my shavings for years. Not turning as much any more, so I can mulch my yard now. I have about an acre. If I need to get rid of it, it seems to find a way to go...

robo hippy