• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

This peg board came in handy!

So I had a little rack made for my turning tools mounted on my lathe. Well I've already run out of room so I needed to find something else. Was gonna just try to build a floor standing rack when I decided to use some old peg board that I had. I have a little scrap wood rack and tie wrapped the board to it. Don't really have any wall space left in my shop or I could have put a couple 1" boards on the back and mounted it. Seems to work just fine like it is though. So here's the rack on my lathe that I can still use while turning, holding just the tools I need. And the peg board holding the rest.

Attachments

• Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Turning tool rack.jpg
    Turning tool rack.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 136
That's quite a substantial collection of tools ... I would even say that you might be just one tool away from greatness. :D
Well to be honest, my wife has to get me 8 more hooks so I can put my other 4 beading tools up there. Lol Would that be greaterestestest? :D

I have a couple of the wire rack/shelf systems in my shop that are on wheels. I have 2 more on order from U Line that are 5 foot long and 2 foot wide. The more I use the wheeled racks, the more I like them. Put a plywood top with sides on it so the tools don't roll off.... These will be especially handy when I do more work shops in my play room so I can have individual tool sets. The lower shelves can hold extra tool rests, chucks, blanks, and all sorts of other 'stuff'.....

The wood tool holder you have on your lathe would not work for my style. With the sliding headstock, I always have it at the tailstock end for bowl and box turning so I don't have to lean over the lathe to cut.

robo hippy

I like your pegboard rack, but since I usually bounce from one lathe to another, I like to have my rack on wheels to take along sometimes. But I also prefer having the chisels to my left. next to the head stock. and about the same general height. Since I stand just to the right of the head stock. and my attention is directed at the piece being turned, just in front and slightly left, the tools are just on the edge of my peripheral vision, instead of almost turning around to look right. Not that I am a lefty, Just my preference

Back