• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

thin parting tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Hi Carlos,
If you don't locate one from your post, effective and inexpensive thin parting tools are easy to make from 6" reciprocating saw blades. Use a grinder to get rid of the saw teeth, put a parting tool profile on the end, and then mount/epoxy it into some sort of handle. I believe there have been instructional posts here on the forum on how to make one. If you choose to make your own, my warning is to not use a long blade that will extend the cutting end much more than 3" from the tool rest. If it extends much more than that you can lose support or go too deeply into the work-piece so that it will too easily bind in the kerf.

Hi Carlos,
If you don't locate one from your post, effective and inexpensive thin parting tools are easy to make from 6" reciprocating saw blades. Use a grinder to get rid of the saw teeth, put a parting tool profile on the end, and then mount/epoxy it into some sort of handle. I believe there have been instructional posts here on the forum on how to make one. If you choose to make your own, my warning is to not use a long blade that will extend the cutting end much more than 3" from the tool rest. If it extends much more than that you can lose support or go too deeply into the work-piece so that it will too easily bind in the kerf.

They also have thin carbide parting tool blades used for metal lathes that can easily be mounted in a handle.
A carbide tool will not flex or bend like a reciprocating saw blade will, which can be good and bad.
If you insert a thin parting tool too far into a wood blank it can heat up, expand the blade and wood, bind up, twist the blade and pull the tool out of your hand quickly.
If a carbide blade binds up it will either break the blade, destroy the wood handle, or pull it out of your hand quickly, user be ware.

Saw one in the AAW magazine made from a butter knife. Lots of ways to make a parting tool. Contributor and turner, John Lucas, made one from an old butter knife found in a flea market.

Correction. Must have had butter on my brain! I think John Lucas bought a butcher knife. Many ways to arrive at the same destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back