1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

thin parting tool

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archives' started by Carlos Rivera, Feb 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlos Rivera

Carlos Rivera

Location (City & State):
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    wtb a thin parting tool

2. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Location (City & State):
    Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    Hi Carlos,
    If you don't locate one from your post, effective and inexpensive thin parting tools are easy to make from 6" reciprocating saw blades. Use a grinder to get rid of the saw teeth, put a parting tool profile on the end, and then mount/epoxy it into some sort of handle. I believe there have been instructional posts here on the forum on how to make one. If you choose to make your own, my warning is to not use a long blade that will extend the cutting end much more than 3" from the tool rest. If it extends much more than that you can lose support or go too deeply into the work-piece so that it will too easily bind in the kerf.

3. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Location (City & State):
    Nebraska
    They also have thin carbide parting tool blades used for metal lathes that can easily be mounted in a handle.
    A carbide tool will not flex or bend like a reciprocating saw blade will, which can be good and bad.
    If you insert a thin parting tool too far into a wood blank it can heat up, expand the blade and wood, bind up, twist the blade and pull the tool out of your hand quickly.
    If a carbide blade binds up it will either break the blade, destroy the wood handle, or pull it out of your hand quickly, user be ware.

Owen Lowe likes this.
  4. Dale Brugger

Dale Brugger

Location (City & State):
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    Do a search on "Fluted Parting Tool, 2mm". Amazon has a Sorby one for just under $50 shipped. I bought one two years ago and really like it.

5. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Saw one in the AAW magazine made from a butter knife. Lots of ways to make a parting tool. Contributor and turner, John Lucas, made one from an old butter knife found in a flea market.

6. Carlos Rivera

Carlos Rivera

Location (City & State):
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    thanks for the info

7. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Correction. Must have had butter on my brain! I think John Lucas bought a butcher knife. Many ways to arrive at the same destination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.