• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The difference between Cook Pine and NIP

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
This is one of my crusades, to help people understand the difference between 2 different species of trees. Araucaria Columnaris or Cook Pine and Norfolk Island Pine or Araucaria Heterophilya. Wayne Omura and I went to help fellow Master Woodturner Todd Campbell today. He has limited mobility on one of his arms and he asked me to put some pewa patches on one of his giant bowls. He has been turning for over 30 years and this is one of his first pieces ever made out of Norfolk Island Pine. Take a look at the size of the knots, the main characteristic that separates the NIP from the Cook Pines. He has done thousands of Araucaria Columnaris or Cook Pine. If you bought Pine from Hawaii, chances are you got Cook Pine and not NIP. In Maui, we know where all 11 NIP trees are located, as opposed to thousands and thousands of Cook pines. Todd told us that the branches of this huge NIP had to be cut one by one and lowered with a boom, they weighed as much as some small pine trees. What a fun day, thank you Wayne Omura for setting up such a fun play date. The pewa are 1.1 in and 0.9. They look tiny inside the massive bowl. I forgot, but I think he said it's about 40 inches wide. Wayne probably remembers.
Todd roughed turned the entire tree, he has dozens and dozens of pieces drying.
Cook pine has very small knots compared to NIP. Their appearance is also very different when they are mature trees.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    699.4 KB · Views: 87
Interesting, here in South Africa we get plenty of the A Heterophylla, dont know if we get the Cook Pine here. Here a lot of confusion exists with the NIP and the Monkey Puzzle Tree ( Araucaria araucana) and the NIP are usually called Monkey Puzzle trees by the Afrikaans speaking South Africans. So I understand your Crusade. Never realised the distinctions until I went to the Botanical Gardens in Pietermaritzburg where at the entrance they have 6 different Araucaria species trees at the entrance

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emeliano, you need to include the picture of his Nichols lathe!

robo hippy
Here you go! My friend Wayne Omura has 2 Nichols, he is selling one. I'm so tempted!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    832.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 36

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Interesting, here in South Africa we get plenty of the A Heterophylla, dont know if we get the Cook Pine here. Here a lot of confusion exists with the NIP and the Monkey Puzzle Tree ( Araucaria araucana) and the NIP are usually called Monkey Puzzle trees by the Afrikaans speaking South Africans. So I understand your Crusade. Never realised the distinctions until I went to the Botanical Gardens in Pietermaritzburg where at the entrance they have 6 different Araucaria species trees at the entrance
The Heterophylla is the NIP. Happy to hear Americans are not the only ones confused about what they are turning, LOL Would love to see pictures of those 6 trees!

Here you go! My friend Wayne Omura has 2 Nichols, he is selling one. I'm so tempted!!!
Emiliano, you should get a Nichols if you get a chance and have a place to put it. That's a piece of history. Charles Farrar in South Carolina turns on one - it's not nearly as huge as the one in your pictures, but it's still a beast. I've only ever seen photos - never seen one in the flesh. They look like an answer to the VB36...

Back