• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The difference between Cook Pine and NIP and other species in Hawaii

Can you tell the difference between Cook Pine and NIP?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I interviewed Dr. Fern Duvall today. He was the State of Hawaii Wildlife Biologist for over 30 years. He's now in charge of the Native Ecosystems Protection and Management Program for the department of land and natural resources.
He is Hawaii's foremost authority in all matters related to plants and trees. Sorry about the wind noise. If you want to know the difference between Cook pine and NIP, Native Kou and Haole Kou, Koa and Koa'ia, and other fun facts about Hawaii, you will enjoy this video. Thank you, Wayne Omura for the camera work.
I will add below the Youtube link. Cook Pine is Araucaria Columnaris, the NIP is Araucaria heterophylla that's 2 different species. There is only 11 known NIP in all of Maui, and thousands of Cook Pines. The NIP has way bigger knots when you turn it, and most times they are fairly irregular, not placed even around the trunk. There are several turners that post their work and incorrectly identify their wood. Personally, I always want to know what I'm turning. These 2 species do not crossbreed because they flower at different times of the year. We also talked about Native Kou and Haole Kou. The difference between Koa and Koa'ia, now considered 2 different species, not cousins like we used to believe. Once again, I apologized about the wind noise, the trade winds were blowing today.
Update: after over 20 hours, the YouTube upload is finally done. I'm adding the link below.
View: https://youtu.be/nmPoBJY-KPs

Last edited:
Hi Emiliano. Thanks for sharing. FYI: The embedded version doesn't work (at least on my platform). It reports "Video unavailable...etc." but the link starts it just fine.

Back