• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The BS interruption

Back surgery that is. No, it is not from the lathe or turning, just getting old! 2 weeks no lifting more than a glass of water. Next two weeks no more than a gallon of milk. NO TURNING for two months. However this is where it pays to be an AAW member. I will have time to watch countless videos and read articles. That I am looking forward to, back surgery no. And I can still order tools on line.

Glad I am a member.

For those with back issues, I purchased a inversion table several weeks ago for about $100.00 delivered to the house and assembled it in about an hour and this has provided me a great amount of recovery from slipping on the ice several months ago and causing some issues with my back. Spending several minutes in an inverted position provides enough traction on the back to help realign the spinal system. Not a solution for everyone but this saves me from visiting a chiropractor for therapy sessions.

Hope you have a quick and complete recovery. My wife has some back trouble. So far, when it flares up, she knows when to back off for a while.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For those with back issues, I purchased a inversion table several weeks ago for about $100.00 delivered to the house and assembled it in about an hour and this has provided me a great amount of recovery from slipping on the ice several months ago and causing some issues with my back. Spending several minutes in an inverted position provides enough traction on the back to help realign the spinal system. Not a solution for everyone but this saves me from visiting a chiropractor for therapy sessions.

I purchased an inversion table recently, too.......I was skeptical, since reviews and comments vary greatly. Quite a few find that the inversion table doesn't help at all. I was desperate to find relief from the pain I was having in my back. I only spend about two minutes at a time, about 4 times a week. The pain has subsided, but it returns. When it does, I'm on the I.T. again, and it seems to be a positive help in dealing with my back pain. I've also found that I can pop my back while inverted, by twisting my shoulders from side to side. while rotating. I can't say anyone else would have similar results, but the I.T. seems to help me.

I also bought a massage ball, about the size of a large soft ball, but softer. I lay prone facing up while laying on it. This also has helped me pop my back.....but, only intermittently.......same with the inversion table.....helps, but not every single time.

-----odie-----

Thanks for the kind comments. I had a MRI and surgery is the only option to fix the problem. First two week will be unpleasant, but then I hope it is more being restraint from doing things. Lots of great videos on the AAW site to watch. And I don’t have to take out the garbage for a while.

Thanks for the kind comments. I had a MRI and surgery is the only option to fix the problem. First two week will be unpleasant, but then I hope it is more being restraint from doing things. Lots of great videos on the AAW site to watch. And I don’t have to take out the garbage for a while.
I had back surgery in 2007 for a herniated disc in my lower back. Like you William, I was on the "do nothing" list for a month. Glad your surgery was a success and you'll be back at the lathe before you know it!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Back surgery now is much better than even just a few years ago. Ten years ago I had a fusion of L4 & L5 which is the most common age related back surgery. A few months ago I had a fusion of L3 & L4 which is the most common second back surgery for those who have had the previous surgery.

Recovering from back surgery ten years ago was slow and very painful. By contrast, after the recent surgery I was up and walking the next day with very little discomfort. The doctor had me taking it easy for a month before I started physical therapy. Most of the therapy involved using an exercise ball.

If an inversion table provides temporary relief that is pretty good indication of a disk problem that may require surgery eventually. Postponing surgery too long can decrease the chance of a good outcome.

Had a friend who had the IT for a back problem because of a spill on a tennis court. His wife said he looked like a bat!

What I have is spinal stenosis between the L3-L4 and L4-L5. This is where the stenosis “pinches” the spinal cord. That results in leg pain primary. The doctor went over back treatments such as traction, PT, etc., but the only way to fix it was surgery. It is basically out patient, but on a rare occasion you need to stay overnight. He said I wouldn’t need PT, just a lot not walking.

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I purchased an inversion table recently, too.......I was skeptical, since reviews and comments vary greatly. Quite a few find that the inversion table doesn't help at all. I was desperate to find relief from the pain I was having in my back. I only spend about two minutes at a time, about 4 times a week. The pain has subsided, but it returns. When it does, I'm on the I.T. again, and it seems to be a positive help in dealing with my back pain. I've also found that I can pop my back while inverted, by twisting my shoulders from side to side. while rotating. I can't say anyone else would have similar results, but the I.T. seems to help me.

I also bought a massage ball, about the size of a large soft ball, but softer. I lay prone facing up while laying on it. This also has helped me pop my back.....but, only intermittently.......same with the inversion table.....helps, but not every single time.

-----odie-----
At least you got some relief.... And get some yogurt... LOL

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Glad your doing better. I guess back pain is something we just live with as we get older. I spent 6 weeks going to a physical therapist. It helped a little but not much. Wife is trying to talk me into going to a Chiropractor but I'm really leary of those although my mother and sister both swear by theirs. Fortunately mine doesn't slow me down much it just hurts most of the time. I think I'm too stubborn to let it get to me although when it catches and I can't breath it does take an hour or so to get back reasonably normal.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Glad your doing better. I guess back pain is something we just live with as we get older. I spent 6 weeks going to a physical therapist. It helped a little but not much. Wife is trying to talk me into going to a Chiropractor but I'm really leary of those although my mother and sister both swear by theirs. Fortunately mine doesn't slow me down much it just hurts most of the time. I think I'm too stubborn to let it get to me although when it catches and I can't breath it does take an hour or so to get back reasonably normal.
I do not ike chiropractors either. I much rather get a prescription for 10 physical therapy sessions. Chiro walks in, yanks your neck for 5 seconds, and tells you you need to purchase the club saver card to come back for 20 more visits...

I realize I'm months out on this one, I'd say visit with a D.O.--an Osteopathic physician (like me) that practices manipulation. Then you have the best of both worlds; medications and manipulation. But I will say that not all back problems are amenable to being manipulated--that's why I take a careful history and exam before I do anything. Inversion tables are good too (I have one), but do take a little getting used to.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I realize I'm months out on this one, I'd say visit with a D.O.--an Osteopathic physician (like me) that practices manipulation. Then you have the best of both worlds; medications and manipulation. But I will say that not all back problems are amenable to being manipulated--that's why I take a careful history and exam before I do anything. Inversion tables are good too (I have one), but do take a little getting used to.
Agree, some medication along with therapy usually does it for me...

Take two aspirin and don't call me in the morning. Chiropractors- I have talked with some people who were helped by them and others who said it was a waste of time and $$$$. I think I would go to the Cherokee reservation in NC and look under "Shaman" in the yellow pages.

How did you make good Scotch last for 50 years? In my younger years, that would have lasted a month.

I had sciatica issues for some years, but they disappeared the day after bilateral hip replacement, just like the clip from the old Ringo Starr Cave Man movie. I do practice Tai Chi daily which makes you focus on posture which is huge. Amazing what just sucking in your gut/turning muscle can do... I do like to hang by my hands from a bar to elongate myself, I used to swing a bit of horizontal bar in college days. Not sure about any of the other things though. After 30 years of concrete construction, my back and shoulders don't bother me. Perhaps because I did high end residential stuff rather than commercial, where they want a good job and not quantity....

Have a speedy recovery William... Or is it Bill?

robo hippy

Back