• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thanks Al Hockenbery

Website
jpseyfried.com
Several years ago I had two Walnut logs to process and I asked for advice on this forum on what to do with it. Al Hockenbery suggested that along with bowl blanks to cut different sized flat stock for other projects. So for years I have been benefiting from that advice. When I get some of that wood for a project, from bottle stoppers to flag cases, I say thanks Al. I have just finished a honey-do project that I would like to than Al here for the good advice.

Here is the slab I started with. IMG_5418.jpgIMG_5421.jpg
The unassembled parts: IMG_0094.jpg
And the finished product. lsusan609.jpglsusan611.jpg

I've only been a member for a short time, but the amount of help and comradery here is quite impressive. It really is a great community of people, can't wait to be able to get to a local club for more hands on learning.

Really like your project as well, looks like something that I should remember so that I can make a similar thing for my fly tying supplies. Walnut really is a wonderful wood to work with, as well.

James, that is a great looking carousel. Love the look of walnut. My wife and I were looking at four walnut logs that I have. Like to use them but there are some cracks in the ends. Just wondering how far down they go and how much wood I can salvage. BTW, how or where did you get the slabs cut?

James, that is a great looking carousel. Love the look of walnut. My wife and I were looking at four walnut logs that I have. Like to use them but there are some cracks in the ends. Just wondering how far down they go and how much wood I can salvage. BTW, how or where did you get the slabs cut?
Several years ago I bid on 3 walnut logs at the MN landscape arboretum, which I got for a song, and they wanted me to take everything. The logs yielded more than a thousand board feet of milled lumber and the branches and crotches yielded many turning blanks. I did have the advantage of owning a Wood Mizer band mill so was able to mill it all myself. I would suspect that there are small portable mill operators in TN who could mill them for you.

Website
jpseyfried.com
Thanks John. I built a table/sled for my band saw that I am able to clamp about a 36" log to for cutting slabs.

Back