• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Texturing and coloring a small ash bowl

Website
www.stewartfuriniwoodturning.co.uk
This is a video of how I made the ash bowl I've just posted in the gallery. It combines a number of techniques: using a small angle grinder to create texture; mixing acrylic paint with Kleister medium to make it semi-transparent; colouring with stains; and finishing with lacquer. I hope it's of interest.

View: https://youtu.be/KKhOi1ed6Mk

Watched the whole video. Nice piece of wood and a great way to embellish it. Would love to see the inside after finishing. I just got an air brush compressor and eager to learn some techniques for turning. Cheers.

Website
Watched the whole video. Nice piece of wood and a great way to embellish it. Would love to see the inside after finishing. I just got an air brush compressor and eager to learn some techniques for turning. Cheers.
Thank you, John. I'll see if I can post some more pictures. The inside curve isn't quite right yet, but the small split on the rim persuaded me to do this as a practice piece.

Website
Stewart! Thanks, your texturing video is great. :D
I'll be doing some experimenting soon... my Dremel 4000 arrived this morning.
Thanks, John - sorry I managed to miss your comment for so long! Glad you enjoyed the video and I hope you had fun with your dremel!

Back