1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The forums will be down Monday evening for a few hours while they are being migrated to another hosting platform. The migration is going to require a DNS change so it may take up to 4 hours for you to be able to get to the forums again. The outage will start around 9pm PST on 11/30. If you have any access issues Tuesday morning you can email the forum admins @ forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Tell Me about Collet Chucks

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by William Rogers, Jun 8, 2018.

1. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    I did a search, but did not find much about collet chucks. I do turn finials and i was thinking these would be useful. The best price I have found is from Craft Supply apprentice set. Are they that useful and what set would you recommend.

2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    I know there was thread on collet chucks. I can’t find it.
    @AlanZ may have had some major contributions.

I use a ONEWAY collet set that fits my scroll chuck.
    The Morse taper chucks give more working room.

3. Dennis Weiner

Dennis Weiner

Location (City & State):
    New City, NY
    image.jpg I also own the oneway “psudeo” collet set for the strong hold. It works but I prefer using the Bealle collet chuck which is sold to fit your lathes thread size. I optioned to purchase separately a set of 11 Shars E32 collets on Amazon for about 60 dollars. Not only can you use this for wood, but it can double for machining operations on your wood lathe. I often use it to connect my flex shaft chuck, d rilling and 1/4” diamond sharpening cone.

hockenbery likes this.
  4. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    The most precise collet system would be one with a Morse taper drive. However, for most woodturning the kind that screws onto the spindle just fine.

Dennis Weiner likes this.
  5. AlanZ

AlanZ Resident Techno Geek

Location (City & State):
    Oradell, NJ
    Several years ago I did a video about using collets In a lathe's tailstock. I inadvertently referred to the collet as a collet chuck...

A collet chuck is a device that holds collets. The video shows direct use of a collet, without a chuck.

I do have a nice Beall chuck that holds ER32 style collets for my wood lathe, and one that holds smaller ER25 collets for my metal mini-lathe and mini-mill.

I have a full metric set of ER32 collets, that have nicely overlapping sizes, so all size stock within the collet range can be held securely.

I prefer to use collets directly, without a chuck whenever possible, because of their low profile.

For those who might not be familiar with collets, here is the video about using one in the tailstock.

6. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    Thanks for the input. Alan nice video, all my forester bits are also 3/8". I need to look into getting that one and maybe a few more for the tail stock. I know the Beall system is nice, but the CS Apprentice is about 1/2 the price and also uses ER 32 inserts.

7. RichColvin

RichColvin

Location (City & State):
    Dublin, OH
    Home Page:
    William Rogers and Dennis Weiner like this.
  8. Mike Peace

Mike Peace

Location (City & State):
    Suwanee, GA
    Home Page:
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  9. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
  10. Mike Peace

Mike Peace

Location (City & State):
    Suwanee, GA
    Home Page:
    Thanks. Bill. It should work now.

11. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    To update this thread, I was able to borrow the CS collet chuck from a fellow club member. It worked just fine, however it wasn't what I really wanted. I ended up buying pin jaws and for what I was wanting it was a better choice for me. Main reason is I can chuck a 3/4' square right into the chuck where you need a diameter to use the collet chuck. The pin jaws hold very well.