• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tea Box Video

I stumbled across this video from Japan- I don't know anything about the turner. A strong contrast to most American videos- tight editing, each short cut makes a single instructional point, illustrated by the visual rather than voice over, incredibly compressed timeline. Looks like it was shot in a studio instead of a shop. Lots to learn from this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhJP...xt=C30f181bUDOEgsToPDskK9vvHNdKT-1wzoGVd8mtIl

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Interesting video although I think it works better when you explain why you use a tool a certain way. For example he uses a very long grind with a pull stroke on his bowl gouge to do the outside. I learned that while turning my hand mirrors and use it for a specific reason. He doesn't explain it.
The video quality is excellent and you can see how he uses the tools pretty well. It's a fun box. Not being a Tea person I don't understand the reason for the double lid but I like it.

Not a tea person either, but, I think the inside lid keeps the tea from going "POOF" when pulling the outer lid off. Seems to be a common feature to turned tea canisters.

I agree that some things weren't well described. He may have been trying to reach audiences of languages he didn't speak. I paused the video several times to get a closer look and could see the techniques adequately.

This brings to mind that videos can be made to be used differently, whether to be viewed primarily linearly or designed to be skipped around, paused, reviewed, etc.

Salman Khan talks about some advantages of video education over "in-person" education- good talk.
http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html

Excuse my free association.

Wes, the "POOF" explanation makes sense. However, I was once told that tea containers were almost always disguised as something other than tea containers because tea was so very expensive. Maybe some of our English friends can help a little with this.

Tea Box

I am a green tea drinker, purple oolong being my favorite.
Some of the tea comes in a round metal container with an inside lid, some does
not. I have heard a couple different stories, one is to help keep the tea fresh, and one was to hide the tea.
There was a time in Japan,when only the very wealthy, and higher ups were allowed to drink tea. It was against the law for the common folks to have tea.

Jim

Back