• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tailstock extension for coring

BA8A3F65-4481-474A-A743-4F64662C798C.jpeg I recently got a Oneway coring jig, and watching the video that came with it noted recommendations for a tailstock extension while coring. I thought that prudent seeing how a lot of damage can happen if a blank gets loose while coring. I didnt have a mt extension per se but found an 18mm deep socket fit over the threaded end of my Oneway live center and had a very long drive extension in the toolbox. It took some minor adjusting to center the end in the cored blank and it worked quite well.

Gary,
You may have just qualified for the MacGyver award this year. :)
That would make a nice accessory for the tail-stock live center if a person had an adapter machined to fit into the end and snap into a socket.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you have the socket extension against a flat piece of wood I think that you ought to drill a shallow hole to capture the extension to hold it in place. Otherwise, it could come flying back at you.

Back