• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sweetgum

I just came upon a good amount of freshly cut sweetgum from here in Georgia. It is a beautiful white color ( I saw some that had dried in a woodpile, almost as white as holly). I have sealed the ends with wax emulsion and am eager to dive in to some of it. Any experience out there with this wood? I don't see it mentioned much on the forum, so I hope I haven't wasted a Sunday on this stuff.

Website
www.urbanwoodworks.com
So Far So Good

Matt,

I got some sweet gum for the first time recently and have only rough turned a couple pieces so far, but it seemed to cooperate nicely and I've been told it finishes just as well. The sweet gum I'm accustomed to (north Georgia) has wonderful chocolate marbling throughout (not just different color heartwood) and is not all white. To me it looks quite striking. I think you'll enjoy turning it.

I have turned sweetgum that I cut green here on the farm. I also found a beautiful contrast between the heartwood being a dark choclate colored brown and the sap wood that is almost white. It is a soft hardwood and cuts like butter when green providing you have sharp tools. It is prone to tear out if your tools get dull. It has a high moisture content - around here it grows in the wetter areas and will require more drying. Be sure to leave your rough turned item plenty thick and be very patient. My bowls take at least 8 months to dry before final turning. I also make sure and wax the end grain heavily after rough turning. Even with the waxing it may still crack some before completely drying - one of the main reasons I go thicker than normal on my green turned pieces.

My wife loves a small salad bowl I made and has ordered a full set! I have not cut the trees for them but it is on my "honey do" list! I will be bringing this original bowl as one of my instant gallery pieces at the Southeastern Symposium late next month.

Wilford

Back