• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Swamp Oak?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've only come across a few pieces of this over the years. The last time it was a tree already cut down and brush cleared so no leaves to examine. My friend more knowledgeable about trees calls it Swamp Oak. I made and sold a few items from it using that name. I came across two more pieces recently and again, no leaves to see. It was on a pile of logs from a cleared lot. I've looked online and I don't really see a lot of consistency in pictures of wood to be certain. The look is the same as before - pale sapwood and deep brown heartwood. I really like it and want to be on the lookout for more. I kow there are LOTS of different types of oak so hard to be sure sometimes. Some wood pictures of Pin Oak do look exactly like it, some don't.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.JPG
    IMG_4395.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 87
Pin Oak is what I was going to guess, I planted one of those in MN years ago and the nursery also alternately called it ‘Swamp’ oak.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
First - I'm no tree expert. If you look online you find tree identification sites calling Pin Oak / Swamp Spanish Oak as the same tree. There's also a White Swamp Oak that is different from what I can tell. Wikipedia (not always the best of sources I know) has a good article on Pin Oak/Swamp Spanish Oak. At this point I'm calling it Swamp Oak and letting it ride.

Good one, Randy!

If you're going to sell these pieces, or have happy family recipients, I'd suggest you refer to it as "Spanish Oak", regardless what species it is. Swamp Oak just doesn't have curb appeal.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
So there's swamp oak, which is not to be confused with swamp oak.

What we need is a DNA company. I can see it now: AssessTree.com
When we had the wood ID problem from the Saint Father Damien tree, a few months ago, someone sent a piece of the wood to a University, they do wood ID. My memory is playing games with me right now.

The wood ID-ing is usually just to the genus, Like ELM but not the species, with Oak they can probably will tell you it is Red Oak or White Oak but nothing more than that.

If you have leafs and buds bark etc than they will probably get you closer to the species.

Wood species IDing.jpg

Randy, I think you have red oak there. The hard defined heartwood in only in smaller/younger trees. Or in branch wood. The trunk wood would be close to void on the heartwood definition or should I say hard contrast. The smooth bark is another indicator. As previously mention this is in the red oak family and these trees grow readily in your area. The are capable of reaching very large size and grow well in the Ozark south of the Ohio river in Kentucky and Tennessee. That is what I think I know without a leaf that’s as close as I can get.

Back