• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sumac.....I have a nice piece of Sumac.

I recently got a 12" x 4" log of Sumac.....Ebay.......My knowledge of Sumac is limited tho I have read it
Is poisonous. And the dangers should not be ignored....I.e. skin and respiratory system should be protected.
Sounds like I should invest in a Bio Hazard suit......

I know sumac is lovely looking wood.....

My question is .....

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of and advice for me.....?

I do not want to burn it up......as the fumes might kill me......

I want to turn it.........but if I decide not to......I will have to bury it very deep to keep kids and dogs from
digging it up

What to do?

Any advice will be examined...

Thanks

Mlyle

Thanks Hock

I will have my girlfriend try a piece out first......kind of a kings taster deal...

Well I will wear a mask and gloves...and see whaT happens....
If I end up in the hosp I wll blame you. Just kidding

Seriously.....I will be cautious.....

Thanks for the response

Mlyle

If you react to poison ivy/oak/sumac, you might also react to the dust from your log. They're all in the Rhus family and generally cause skin problems. Inhaled Rhus dust might be irritating to your breathing passages, which could be dangerous. I live where poison ivy is scarce, so I don't have personal experience to give a realistic estimate of the risk of having a problem. Suggestions: respirator, long sleeves, take off and wash your outer clothes after turning. There is a lotion/cream you can apply to your skin to reduce chance of irritation, but I don't know how well it works. If you're a severe reactor to poison ivy/oak/sumac, you might want to forego the potential misery.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are all in the Anacardiaceae family not that that means a lot, but the important thing is that these plants all contain an oily resin called urushiol in the wood and leaves.

If topical hydrocortisone and antihistamine don't provide relief a doctor can prescribe stronger oral medications to relieve the itching, but the rash will still last a week or two.

Make sure that the mask you wear isn't one of the cheap paper dust masks. They are practically worthless. You should get a mask that is rated P100 or N100. Any dust, especially sanding dust will be a major problem. It will be practically impossible to keep it from getting on you unless you have a hazmat suit. Also, think about all of the dust settling all over your shop.

Ok ..thanks all for the responses

I don't think I need the aggravation...at my somewhat advanced age....I am 71....

So

Any one want some Sumac? Make an offer....

Thanks

Mlyle

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I am already well stocked with wood ... enough to last several years. Oh, and don't burn it because the smoke can also cause a reaction.
Wasn't aware that the smoke could also cause a reaction. I saved some Silky Oak logs for the fire, I will be throwing them away... A friend had one Silky Oak fall over her driveway, the yard workers were clearing it out, one of them ended up in an ambulance, on his way to the ER!! I knew some people have allergies to silky oak, but never heard of something so extreme...

Poison sumac(Toxicodendron vernix) is unlikely to grow large enough to reach the size of log you have. Staghorn sumac(Rhus typhina) on the other hand can easily get that big. Its wood is often a yellow-green color especially when fresh. It also fluoresces(glows) under backlight. It is not known to be toxic or an irritant like the "poison" variety. Any wood can be an irritant or cause allergic reaction to those who are particularly sensitive. AAW has a wood toxicity resource if you search for it. There are others available as well. Positive identification is your best avenue. The USDA Forest Service lab will identify wood samples for free. Caution is always a wise course when working with a new wood, especially if you have multiple known allergies.

Wasn't aware that the smoke could also cause a reaction. I saved some Silky Oak logs for the fire, I will be throwing them away... A friend had one Silky Oak fall over her driveway, the yard workers were clearing it out, one of them ended up in an ambulance, on his way to the ER!! I knew some people have allergies to silky oak, but never heard of something so extreme...
Emiliano, Ask Kelly Dunn about silver oak, it almost killed him. I also get a bad rash from it so will not turn it at all. To bad because it can be beautiful wood.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, Ask Kelly Dunn about silver oak, it almost killed him. I also get a bad rash from it so will not turn it at all. To bad because it can be beautiful wood.
It is beautiful! There is only so much time to turn, so may great woods that we have available...

Great advice about not burning it. Many years ago while working on road construction a fellow worker became hospitalized with his lungs infected by the smoke of poison sumac. That's not to say what you have is poison sumac. We have sumac here and I've actually steeped the flowers to make a tea. https://allnaturalideas.com/sumac-tea/

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, Yes I am going to be at Portland so see you there. The Hana project we have has no yet started but when it does I will be stopping by. Have not forgotten and will bring you that piece of Ala"a.
Looking forward to meet you. I'm planning a State of Hawaii picture. We will set a date, time and place and see if we can have a pictures of all of us Hawaiians in Portland... Not worried about the Ala'a. I always say it's a good thing we don't turn apples and bananas, they get rotten in a few days, timber lasts for ever...
Raining a lot here, not sure what you are doing in Hana, but unless is fishing or diving you are out of luck! Aloha

As a kid I was around a bonfire where some poison ivy or oak vines were burned. From the smoke i got it on my face. The next day my face puffed up, eyes swollen shut, nostril openings inflamed and around my lips. I don't remember it being a pleasant experience. There is too much good wood around to take a chance on anything that has the possibility of an adverse reaction.

I am very allergic to sumac, all varieties so far as I know. However I have no reaction to Poison Ivy or Poison Oak. I have read that this can change with time so I just avoid all of them

Back